RE: [jasspa] Suggestion: Query-replace-string should remember default replacement string

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 10, 2002
      The previous value is not the default because you may wish to replace "foo" with "" (the empty string). If a history value is suggested then an empty value cannot be given easily (try changing "foo" to "" - it can be done but its obscure) which means that as not having "bar" as the history verses a novice user not being able to enter "" - I think the choice is frustratingly simple - sorry Thomas!

      Perhaps there should be a config option?

      Steve

      PS I use C-up instead of ^p, you may find this easy to hit.

      Message 2 of 3 , May 20, 2004
        Well perhaps the answer is to act like certain shells and other
        editors and put the defaults on the prompt line, after the prompt, as
        if the user had just typed them. Then the user could backspace over
        them and otherwise edit them, immediately. I for one would love such
        a functionality ;-)

        -Th

        --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, "Phillips, Steven " <sphillips@p...>