Suggestion: Query-replace-string should remember default replacement string

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 10, 2002
      (One for the suggestion box?)

      Often I do query-replace-string, and screw it up and hit undo, and do
      it again, fine-tuning my search or replacement string. To make this
      quicker, ME remembers my search string each time and offers it as the
      default. It would be nice if the replacement string worked the same
      way.

      Example:

      Query-replace: foo
      Replace [foo] with: bar

      (oops, that wasn't what I wanted, ^G, undo, and try again)

      Query-replace (default [foo]): baz <--- it remembered "foo"
      Replace [baz] with: <--- but it doesn't remember "bar"

      Yes, I know, I can hit ^P a couple of times and get to it...
      but why should I have to? I don't have to with the search string.
      (Yes, I'm a lazy programmer. Programmers are lazy; that's why they
      like to write programs.)

      Thanks

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 10, 2002
        The previous value is not the default because you may wish to replace "foo" with "" (the empty string). If a history value is suggested then an empty value cannot be given easily (try changing "foo" to "" - it can be done but its obscure) which means that as not having "bar" as the history verses a novice user not being able to enter "" - I think the choice is frustratingly simple - sorry Thomas!

        Perhaps there should be a config option?

        Steve

        PS I use C-up instead of ^p, you may find this easy to hit.

        Message 3 of 3 , May 20, 2004
          Well perhaps the answer is to act like certain shells and other
          editors and put the defaults on the prompt line, after the prompt, as
          if the user had just typed them. Then the user could backspace over
          them and otherwise edit them, immediately. I for one would love such
          a functionality ;-)

          -Th

          --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, "Phillips, Steven " <sphillips@p...>