Re: [jasspa] Oracle PL/SQL syntax highlighting

  • Rick Owen
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002
      Hi Jon,

      Thanks for the explanation. I understand what you're saying about the
      complexities. I agree that performance should not be compromised for features.
      I'm just happy for the syntax highlighting and the limited indent.

      Thanks -- I'll look forward to whatever you send once you're back from
      traveling.

      Rick.

      =====
      Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002
        Rick,
        Sorry, not got back to you - been tied up
        just lately and have not managed to progress
        any further.

        I received your source files and together
        with the language syntax specification got
        some idea of the constructs and layout
        involved. I concluded that the indentation
        was non-trivial. The main reason is that
        the indentation needs to be driven by
        a look-back mechanism - something that
        the 'indent' command does not cater for.
        ('C' indentation is built into the editor
        but does perform look back which is why
        it can cope with a multitude of complex
        layouts).

        I discussed the issue further with Steve
        and we determined that the limitations of
        the current mechanism would not be
        sufficient to get a reliable enough
        indentation scheme running. The danger is
        that the indentation would cause the user
        more frustration than it not being present.
        We have been mulling over the hilighting
        and indentation for some time in an
        attempt to provide a more powerful mechanism
        that includes context sensitive indentation.
        We started considering this when Detlef
        suggested a scheme changing mechanism allowing
        a jump in hilighting between different
        languages within the same file. Our goal was
        to also change the indentation scheme. To do
        this then the indentation would have to be
        based on a look-back mechanism. To date
        we have not managed to come up with a
        good processor efficient method of performing
        this look back without impacting on the
        performance of the editor. Steve did
        prototype a hilighting method that
        recorded the current context state in the
        line nodes (the current thinking is that
        we need to take the same approach for
        indentation). The implementation did
        work, but was computationally very processor
        intensive especially when moving to the
        end of the file as the full context of
        the file has to be computed - this resulted
        in long pauses as re-computation took place.
        This was abandoned for a re-think - although
        in light of the problems you have presented
        us with then the case is now re-open.

        That's the history and current status. I do
        need to do some more work on the template
        which I will try and complete. I'm abroad
        for the whole of next week on business so
        I'll not have time to address this until
        I get back.

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002
          Forcing me to explain the situation has just sparked
          a new idea for the indentation look back which
          should not be so computationally expensive. I should
          be able to mock this up in macros to test the concept,
          starting with the PL/SQL difficult cases.

          So thanks for the prompt !

          Jon.