Oracle PL/SQL syntax highlighting

  • Rick Owen
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002
      Jon,

      The syntax highlighting you gave me is working great. Have you had any more
      time to think about indenting, etc? Did you ever receive the sample files I
      sent?

      Thanks,
      Rick.

      =====
      Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • Rick Owen
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002
        Hi Jon,

        Thanks for the explanation. I understand what you're saying about the
        complexities. I agree that performance should not be compromised for features.
        I'm just happy for the syntax highlighting and the limited indent.

        Thanks -- I'll look forward to whatever you send once you're back from
        traveling.

        Rick.

        =====

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002
          Rick,
          Sorry, not got back to you - been tied up
          just lately and have not managed to progress
          any further.

          I received your source files and together
          with the language syntax specification got
          some idea of the constructs and layout
          involved. I concluded that the indentation
          was non-trivial. The main reason is that
          the indentation needs to be driven by
          a look-back mechanism - something that
          the 'indent' command does not cater for.
          ('C' indentation is built into the editor
          but does perform look back which is why
          it can cope with a multitude of complex
          layouts).

          I discussed the issue further with Steve
          and we determined that the limitations of
          the current mechanism would not be
          sufficient to get a reliable enough
          indentation scheme running. The danger is
          that the indentation would cause the user
          more frustration than it not being present.
          We have been mulling over the hilighting
          and indentation for some time in an
          attempt to provide a more powerful mechanism
          that includes context sensitive indentation.
          We started considering this when Detlef
          suggested a scheme changing mechanism allowing
          a jump in hilighting between different
          languages within the same file. Our goal was
          to also change the indentation scheme. To do
          this then the indentation would have to be
          based on a look-back mechanism. To date
          we have not managed to come up with a
          good processor efficient method of performing
          this look back without impacting on the
          performance of the editor. Steve did
          prototype a hilighting method that
          recorded the current context state in the
          line nodes (the current thinking is that
          we need to take the same approach for
          indentation). The implementation did
          work, but was computationally very processor
          intensive especially when moving to the
          end of the file as the full context of
          the file has to be computed - this resulted
          in long pauses as re-computation took place.
          This was abandoned for a re-think - although
          in light of the problems you have presented
          us with then the case is now re-open.

          That's the history and current status. I do
          need to do some more work on the template
          which I will try and complete. I'm abroad
          for the whole of next week on business so
          I'll not have time to address this until
          I get back.

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002
            Forcing me to explain the situation has just sparked
            a new idea for the indentation look back which
            should not be so computationally expensive. I should
            be able to mock this up in macros to test the concept,
            starting with the PL/SQL difficult cases.

            So thanks for the prompt !

            Jon.