Oracle PL/SQL syntax highlighting

  • Rick Owen
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002
      Jon,

      The syntax highlighting you gave me is working great. Have you had any more
      time to think about indenting, etc? Did you ever receive the sample files I
      sent?

      Thanks,
      Rick.

      =====
      Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002
        François,

        Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
        You do not say what platform you are running
        on. I assume that it is Windows as you
        have submitted this E-Mail from Microsoft
        Outlook.

        The first question is - have you enabled
        the French Keyboard from the user setup.
        From the menu this is:-

        Help->User Setup->Start-Up

        Within this dialogue then you need to
        specify that you are using a French
        keyboard. Once this is set up then
        this should invoke the French keyboard
        settings in keyboard.emf. You can
        see if this is running by adding

        5000 ml-write "Running French Config"

        into the French keyboard setup i.e.

        !elif &seq #l0 "Francais"
        !if &seq $platform "win32"
        5000 ml-write "Running French Config"
        ; Thanks to Meyer Jean-Francois
        translate-key "A-C-4" "{"

        If the print appears then you
        are running the correct configuration.
        If you are running with a French Keyboard
        configuration then we need to establish
        exactly what you are getting for the
        key strokes. You message identifies
        what does and does not work - but it
        does not indicate what you are getting
        instead. To do this then we need
        to look at the key history as follows:-

        a) Enter the key that does not work.
        b) C-h v for "list-variables".
        c) Search for the variable $recent-keys
        this shows recent key presses and
        can be used to identify what key
        sequence is being received.
        d) Add a new "translate-key" sequence to
        correct the received key sequence to the
        required key - add to "keyboard.emf".
        e) Restart the editor.

        If you manage to correct all of the keys
        then please submit the changes so that
        they can be corrected.

        > GUILLET François wrote:
        >
        > Hello
        >
        > i have lot of problemes
        >
        > i have edite keyboard.eml but the change dont work
        > i join my keyboard.eml
        >
        > [ dont work do [ ] (5b)
        >
        > ` dont work (ef) make ï
        >
        > please help me
        > your sofware is grate like emacs is greate
        > but configuration is hard
        >
        > bye
        > François GUILLET
        > email : k.bastet@...
        > web : http://k.bastet.free.fr
        > tel : 06 08 70 69 38
        > fix : 04 67 79 69 68

        > Name: keyboard.zip
        > keyboard.zip Type: Zip Compressed Data
        > (application/x-zip-compressed)
        > Encoding: base64
      • Rick Owen
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002
          Hi Jon,

          Thanks for the explanation. I understand what you're saying about the
          complexities. I agree that performance should not be compromised for features.
          I'm just happy for the syntax highlighting and the limited indent.

          Thanks -- I'll look forward to whatever you send once you're back from
          traveling.

          Rick.

          =====

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002
            Rick,
            Sorry, not got back to you - been tied up
            just lately and have not managed to progress
            any further.

            I received your source files and together
            with the language syntax specification got
            some idea of the constructs and layout
            involved. I concluded that the indentation
            was non-trivial. The main reason is that
            the indentation needs to be driven by
            a look-back mechanism - something that
            the 'indent' command does not cater for.
            ('C' indentation is built into the editor
            but does perform look back which is why
            it can cope with a multitude of complex
            layouts).

            I discussed the issue further with Steve
            and we determined that the limitations of
            the current mechanism would not be
            sufficient to get a reliable enough
            indentation scheme running. The danger is
            that the indentation would cause the user
            more frustration than it not being present.
            We have been mulling over the hilighting
            and indentation for some time in an
            attempt to provide a more powerful mechanism
            that includes context sensitive indentation.
            We started considering this when Detlef
            suggested a scheme changing mechanism allowing
            a jump in hilighting between different
            languages within the same file. Our goal was
            to also change the indentation scheme. To do
            this then the indentation would have to be
            based on a look-back mechanism. To date
            we have not managed to come up with a
            good processor efficient method of performing
            this look back without impacting on the
            performance of the editor. Steve did
            prototype a hilighting method that
            recorded the current context state in the
            line nodes (the current thinking is that
            we need to take the same approach for
            indentation). The implementation did
            work, but was computationally very processor
            intensive especially when moving to the
            end of the file as the full context of
            the file has to be computed - this resulted
            in long pauses as re-computation took place.
            This was abandoned for a re-think - although
            in light of the problems you have presented
            us with then the case is now re-open.

            That's the history and current status. I do
            need to do some more work on the template
            which I will try and complete. I'm abroad
            for the whole of next week on business so
            I'll not have time to address this until
            I get back.

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002
              Forcing me to explain the situation has just sparked
              a new idea for the indentation look back which
              should not be so computationally expensive. I should
              be able to mock this up in macros to test the concept,
              starting with the PL/SQL difficult cases.

              So thanks for the prompt !

              Jon.