KeyBoard Problemes ( Syntaxe error but everything dont work )

  • GUILLET François
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2002
      Hello

      i have lot of problemes

      i have edite keyboard.eml but the change dont work
      i join my keyboard.eml

      [  dont work do [ ]    (5b)

      ` dont work (ef) make ï

      please help me
      your sofware is grate like emacs is greate
      but configuration is hard

      bye
      François GUILLET
      email : k.bastet@...
      web : http://k.bastet.free.fr
      tel : 06 08 70 69 38
      fix : 04 67 79 69 68
    • Rick Owen
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002
        Jon,

        The syntax highlighting you gave me is working great. Have you had any more
        time to think about indenting, etc? Did you ever receive the sample files I
        sent?

        Thanks,
        Rick.

        =====
        Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002
          François,

          Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
          You do not say what platform you are running
          on. I assume that it is Windows as you
          have submitted this E-Mail from Microsoft
          Outlook.

          The first question is - have you enabled
          the French Keyboard from the user setup.
          From the menu this is:-

          Help->User Setup->Start-Up

          Within this dialogue then you need to
          specify that you are using a French
          keyboard. Once this is set up then
          this should invoke the French keyboard
          settings in keyboard.emf. You can
          see if this is running by adding

          5000 ml-write "Running French Config"

          into the French keyboard setup i.e.

          !elif &seq #l0 "Francais"
          !if &seq $platform "win32"
          5000 ml-write "Running French Config"
          ; Thanks to Meyer Jean-Francois
          translate-key "A-C-4" "{"

          If the print appears then you
          are running the correct configuration.
          If you are running with a French Keyboard
          configuration then we need to establish
          exactly what you are getting for the
          key strokes. You message identifies
          what does and does not work - but it
          does not indicate what you are getting
          instead. To do this then we need
          to look at the key history as follows:-

          a) Enter the key that does not work.
          b) C-h v for "list-variables".
          c) Search for the variable $recent-keys
          this shows recent key presses and
          can be used to identify what key
          sequence is being received.
          d) Add a new "translate-key" sequence to
          correct the received key sequence to the
          required key - add to "keyboard.emf".
          e) Restart the editor.

          If you manage to correct all of the keys
          then please submit the changes so that
          they can be corrected.

          > GUILLET François wrote:
          >
          > Hello
          >
          > i have lot of problemes
          >
          > i have edite keyboard.eml but the change dont work
          > i join my keyboard.eml
          >
          > [ dont work do [ ] (5b)
          >
          > ` dont work (ef) make ï
          >
          > please help me
          > your sofware is grate like emacs is greate
          > but configuration is hard
          >
          > bye
          > François GUILLET
          > email : k.bastet@...
          > web : http://k.bastet.free.fr
          > tel : 06 08 70 69 38
          > fix : 04 67 79 69 68

          > Name: keyboard.zip
          > keyboard.zip Type: Zip Compressed Data
          > (application/x-zip-compressed)
          > Encoding: base64
        • Rick Owen
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002
            Hi Jon,

            Thanks for the explanation. I understand what you're saying about the
            complexities. I agree that performance should not be compromised for features.
            I'm just happy for the syntax highlighting and the limited indent.

            Thanks -- I'll look forward to whatever you send once you're back from
            traveling.

            Rick.

            =====

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002
              Rick,
              Sorry, not got back to you - been tied up
              just lately and have not managed to progress
              any further.

              I received your source files and together
              with the language syntax specification got
              some idea of the constructs and layout
              involved. I concluded that the indentation
              was non-trivial. The main reason is that
              the indentation needs to be driven by
              a look-back mechanism - something that
              the 'indent' command does not cater for.
              ('C' indentation is built into the editor
              but does perform look back which is why
              it can cope with a multitude of complex
              layouts).

              I discussed the issue further with Steve
              and we determined that the limitations of
              the current mechanism would not be
              sufficient to get a reliable enough
              indentation scheme running. The danger is
              that the indentation would cause the user
              more frustration than it not being present.
              We have been mulling over the hilighting
              and indentation for some time in an
              attempt to provide a more powerful mechanism
              that includes context sensitive indentation.
              We started considering this when Detlef
              suggested a scheme changing mechanism allowing
              a jump in hilighting between different
              languages within the same file. Our goal was
              to also change the indentation scheme. To do
              this then the indentation would have to be
              based on a look-back mechanism. To date
              we have not managed to come up with a
              good processor efficient method of performing
              this look back without impacting on the
              performance of the editor. Steve did
              prototype a hilighting method that
              recorded the current context state in the
              line nodes (the current thinking is that
              we need to take the same approach for
              indentation). The implementation did
              work, but was computationally very processor
              intensive especially when moving to the
              end of the file as the full context of
              the file has to be computed - this resulted
              in long pauses as re-computation took place.
              This was abandoned for a re-think - although
              in light of the problems you have presented
              us with then the case is now re-open.

              That's the history and current status. I do
              need to do some more work on the template
              which I will try and complete. I'm abroad
              for the whole of next week on business so
              I'll not have time to address this until
              I get back.

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002
                Forcing me to explain the situation has just sparked
                a new idea for the indentation look back which
                should not be so computationally expensive. I should
                be able to mock this up in macros to test the concept,
                starting with the PL/SQL difficult cases.

                So thanks for the prompt !

                Jon.