MicroEmacs not so micro in size

  • Yong Kwang Goh
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 22, 2002
      Initially I thought MicroEmacs should be a tiny text editor (a mini-clone of
      Emacs) weighing in below 1 MB. But after installing it, it came up to about
      6MB huge, not small enough to fit onto a 1.44MB floppy disk. GNU Emacs
      itself is about 11MB.

      I did not use the InstallShield bundle (jasspame.exe ~3.7MB) and I opted to
      download the seperate packages I believe I need.

      So the executable image (required) is 528 KB (which is fine), added in the
      macro file (required) 1.69MB (too huge!) and I dunno if I really need the
      spelling dictionary and I just added them in. The HTML Help files are
      optional but I installed them for reference.

      btw, I'm just using MicroEmacs as a simple programming editor with
      syntax-highlighting for C, Perl and Java. So what is really required or
      essential? Can I cut down on some of the macro if I don't use them (syntax
      highlighting for some unused programming languages) and how to identify and
      cut down on them?

      ---
      Goh, Yong Kwang
      Singapore

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 23, 2002
        Yong Kwang Goh wrote:

        > Initially I thought MicroEmacs should be a tiny text editor (a mini-clone of
        > Emacs) weighing in below 1 MB. But after installing it, it came up to about
        > 6MB huge, not small enough to fit onto a 1.44MB floppy disk. GNU Emacs
        > itself is about 11MB.

        Use 'ne' if you want something tiny - will not
        do syntax hilighting - will fit on a floppy.
        MicroEmacs is derrived from the original MicroEmacs
        hence the name with lots of additions i.e. syntax hilighting
        spelling etc. A lot of the functionality is added with
        macro files rather than being built into the executable
        hence the macro size is fairly large as this is all
        interpreted.

        The space on disk for me is 4MB of information (including the
        help and full macro set and binary) The disk used space will
        very much depend upon your disk size and block size.

        > I did not use the InstallShield bundle (jasspame.exe ~3.7MB) and I opted to
        > download the seperate packages I believe I need.
        >
        > So the executable image (required) is 528 KB (which is fine), added in the
        > macro file (required) 1.69MB (too huge!) and I dunno if I really need the
        > spelling dictionary and I just added them in. The HTML Help files are
        > optional but I installed them for reference.

        If you do not need to check spelling then you do not need
        the spelling dictionary.

        > btw, I'm just using MicroEmacs as a simple programming editor with
        > syntax-highlighting for C, Perl and Java. So what is really required or
        > essential? Can I cut down on some of the macro if I don't use them (syntax
        > highlighting for some unused programming languages) and how to identify and
        > cut down on them?

        Are you really so short of disk space ? Disk storage is
        so cheap what is 6MB ? This is insignificant to most Windows
        Applications. It has been years since I was constrained to
        a 120MB disk.

        You can remove surplus macro files. You can delete all of
        the hook files that you do not need i.e. hkXXX.emf. Delete
        me.ehf if you do not want help information. Delete unused
        template files *.etf, unused abbreviation files *.eaf etc.
        Can delete triangle.emf, vm.emf, metris.emf. Other platform
        stuff like linux.emf which is not on your platform.

        I would ask the question is it really worth it ?

        > ---
        > Goh, Yong Kwang
        > Singapore

        The mail message has been scanned by MAILsweeper
        for content analysis.