Re: [jasspa] tabs

  • Rick Owen
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 16, 2002
      I found some more info in the FAQ on $tabwidth, but even after I set it to 3 it
      gets reset to 4 when I edit a .sql file. Is there a global place where indent
      mode is modified based on the file type?

      Thanks,
      Rick.

      --- Rick Owen <rickowen@...> wrote:
      > Greetings,
      >
      > I am using me on an hpux. I use it to edit .SQL files and everything
      > is working great except when I press the tab key I get 4 spaces
      > inserted and I only want three, but I can't determine where that is
      > set. What I need is some help understanding the variables $tabsize
      > and $tabwidth and where I should set them. I use the same tab width
      > for all the types of files that I edit and I always want spaces
      > inserted, so I would like to know where to make the change so that it
      > is global for all file types.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Rick.

      =====
      "Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." (Charles Lamb)

      Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
      http://news.yahoo.com
    • Rick Owen
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 16, 2002
        Jon,

        Thanks for the quick response. I'll have to digest what you sent, but if I
        need more help I'll be sure and ask. That's one thing about this list --
        questions always gets answered.

        Thanks again,
        Rick.

        --- Jon Green <jnaught@...> wrote:
        > Could create own buffer extensions to cope with the tab width
        [snip]

        =====

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 16, 2002
          Could create own buffer extensions to cope with the tab width
          setting i.e. mysql.emf. Then in the .sql file you can introduce
          the header:-

          /* -!- sql tabsize:3; -!- */

          ... SQL file ....

          This sets the tab size in the header and it is adopted for
          that buffer only. The problem with setting $tabsize is that
          it affects all buffers which is not generally desirable.
          You probably want to leave $tabwidth alone as this causes
          mis formatting errors in other editors.

          If you use the tab key then may be easier to perform
          a buffer bind of <tab> and <S-Tab> in the fhook to
          map these onto inserting 3 spaces. If you need some
          help with this then shout.

          Looking at the SQL hook file then it is very basic -
          if you are doing a lot of work in SQL then it will
          be work adding indentation and comment rules.
          (Look at hkemf.emf) for an example.

          File mysql.emf
          --------------

          ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
          ;
          ; Author : $Author$
          ; Created By : Jon Green
          ; Created : Mon Sep 16 15:35:26 2002
          ; Last Modified : <020916.1539>
          ;
          ; Description
          ;
          ; Notes
          ;
          ; History
          ;
          ; Copyright (c) 2002 Jon Green.
          ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

          define-macro my-fhook-sql
          set-variable :tabsize $tabsize
          set-variable :tabwidth $tabwidth
          ; Search for additional modes in a -!- sql -!-
          ;
          ; -!- tex; fill-column: <digit> -!-
          ;
          ;
          beginning-of-buffer
          !force -20 regex-forward &spr "-[*!]-"
          !if $status
          ; Search for tabsize: <var>;
          !force -1 regex-forward "tabsize[ \t]*:[ \t]*\\([0-9]+\\)[ \t]*[-;]"
          !if $status
          set-variable :tabsize @s1
          beginning-of-line
          !endif
          ; Search for tabwidth: <var>;
          !force -1 regex-forward "tabwidth[ \t]*:[ \t]*\\([0-9]+\\)[ \t]*[-;]"
          !if $status
          set-variable :tabwidth @s1
          beginning-of-line
          !endif
          ; Add any others in here.

          ; Back to the start of the buffer
          beginning-of-buffer

          ;
          ; Buffer hook. Modify the fill mode to left only. This ensures that we
          ; always fill the line correctly irrespective of the mode of the caller.
          ; The likes of centre and justified are not warrented in a TeX buffer.
          ;
          0 define-macro my-bhook-sql
          ; Save the other context. Restore local context
          set-variable :otabwidth $tabwidth
          set-variable $tabwidth :tabwidth
          set-variable :otabsize $tabsize
          set-variable $tabsize :tabsize
          !emacro
          ;
          0 define-macro my-ehook-sql
          ; Restore existing context
          set-variable :tabwidth $tabwidth
          set-variable $tabwidth :otabwidth
          set-variable :tabsize $tabsize
          set-variable $tabsize :otabsize
          !emacro

          Rick Owen wrote:

          > I found some more info in the FAQ on $tabwidth, but even after I set it to 3 it
          > gets reset to 4 when I edit a .sql file. Is there a global place where indent
          > mode is modified based on the file type?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Rick.
          >
          > --- Rick Owen <rickowen@...> wrote:
          > > Greetings,
          > >
          > > I am using me on an hpux. I use it to edit .SQL files and everything
          > > is working great except when I press the tab key I get 4 spaces
          > > inserted and I only want three, but I can't determine where that is
          > > set. What I need is some help understanding the variables $tabsize
          > > and $tabwidth and where I should set them. I use the same tab width
          > > for all the types of files that I edit and I always want spaces
          > > inserted, so I would like to know where to make the change so that it
          > > is global for all file types.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Rick.
          > >

          > =====
          > "Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." (Charles Lamb)

          > Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
          > http://news.yahoo.com

          Jon Green J.D.Naughton-Green
          Project Manager

          SAMSUNG Electronics (UK) Ltd
          The Communication Centre
          South Street
          Staines Tel(direct): +44 (0)1784 428614
          MIDDLESEX Tel(s/w board): +44 (0)1784 428600 ext 614
          TW18 4QE Fax: +44 (0)1784 428620
          England Email (work): jon@...
          Email (home): jon@...