tabs

  • Rick Owen
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 16, 2002
      Greetings,

      I am using me on an hpux. I use it to edit .SQL files and everything
      is working great except when I press the tab key I get 4 spaces
      inserted and I only want three, but I can't determine where that is
      set. What I need is some help understanding the variables $tabsize
      and $tabwidth and where I should set them. I use the same tab width
      for all the types of files that I edit and I always want spaces
      inserted, so I would like to know where to make the change so that it
      is global for all file types.

      Thanks,
      Rick.
    • Rick Owen
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 16, 2002
        I found some more info in the FAQ on $tabwidth, but even after I set it to 3 it
        gets reset to 4 when I edit a .sql file. Is there a global place where indent
        mode is modified based on the file type?

        Thanks,
        Rick.

        --- Rick Owen <rickowen@...> wrote:
        > Greetings,
        >
        > I am using me on an hpux. I use it to edit .SQL files and everything
        > is working great except when I press the tab key I get 4 spaces
        > inserted and I only want three, but I can't determine where that is
        > set. What I need is some help understanding the variables $tabsize
        > and $tabwidth and where I should set them. I use the same tab width
        > for all the types of files that I edit and I always want spaces
        > inserted, so I would like to know where to make the change so that it
        > is global for all file types.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Rick.

        =====
        "Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." (Charles Lamb)

        Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
        http://news.yahoo.com
      • Rick Owen
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 16, 2002
          Jon,

          Thanks for the quick response. I'll have to digest what you sent, but if I
          need more help I'll be sure and ask. That's one thing about this list --
          questions always gets answered.

          Thanks again,
          Rick.

          --- Jon Green <jnaught@...> wrote:
          > Could create own buffer extensions to cope with the tab width
          [snip]

          =====

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 16, 2002
            Could create own buffer extensions to cope with the tab width
            setting i.e. mysql.emf. Then in the .sql file you can introduce
            the header:-

            /* -!- sql tabsize:3; -!- */

            ... SQL file ....

            This sets the tab size in the header and it is adopted for
            that buffer only. The problem with setting $tabsize is that
            it affects all buffers which is not generally desirable.
            You probably want to leave $tabwidth alone as this causes
            mis formatting errors in other editors.

            If you use the tab key then may be easier to perform
            a buffer bind of <tab> and <S-Tab> in the fhook to
            map these onto inserting 3 spaces. If you need some
            help with this then shout.

            Looking at the SQL hook file then it is very basic -
            if you are doing a lot of work in SQL then it will
            be work adding indentation and comment rules.
            (Look at hkemf.emf) for an example.

            File mysql.emf
            --------------

            ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
            ;
            ; Author : $Author$
            ; Created By : Jon Green
            ; Created : Mon Sep 16 15:35:26 2002
            ; Last Modified : <020916.1539>
            ;
            ; Description
            ;
            ; Notes
            ;
            ; History
            ;
            ; Copyright (c) 2002 Jon Green.
            ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

            define-macro my-fhook-sql
            set-variable :tabsize $tabsize
            set-variable :tabwidth $tabwidth
            ; Search for additional modes in a -!- sql -!-
            ;
            ; -!- tex; fill-column: <digit> -!-
            ;
            ;
            beginning-of-buffer
            !force -20 regex-forward &spr "-[*!]-"
            !if $status
            ; Search for tabsize: <var>;
            !force -1 regex-forward "tabsize[ \t]*:[ \t]*\\([0-9]+\\)[ \t]*[-;]"
            !if $status
            set-variable :tabsize @s1
            beginning-of-line
            !endif
            ; Search for tabwidth: <var>;
            !force -1 regex-forward "tabwidth[ \t]*:[ \t]*\\([0-9]+\\)[ \t]*[-;]"
            !if $status
            set-variable :tabwidth @s1
            beginning-of-line
            !endif
            ; Add any others in here.

            ; Back to the start of the buffer
            beginning-of-buffer

            ;
            ; Buffer hook. Modify the fill mode to left only. This ensures that we
            ; always fill the line correctly irrespective of the mode of the caller.
            ; The likes of centre and justified are not warrented in a TeX buffer.
            ;
            0 define-macro my-bhook-sql
            ; Save the other context. Restore local context
            set-variable :otabwidth $tabwidth
            set-variable $tabwidth :tabwidth
            set-variable :otabsize $tabsize
            set-variable $tabsize :tabsize
            !emacro
            ;
            0 define-macro my-ehook-sql
            ; Restore existing context
            set-variable :tabwidth $tabwidth
            set-variable $tabwidth :otabwidth
            set-variable :tabsize $tabsize
            set-variable $tabsize :otabsize
            !emacro

            Rick Owen wrote:

            > I found some more info in the FAQ on $tabwidth, but even after I set it to 3 it
            > gets reset to 4 when I edit a .sql file. Is there a global place where indent
            > mode is modified based on the file type?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Rick.
            >
            > --- Rick Owen <rickowen@...> wrote:
            > > Greetings,
            > >
            > > I am using me on an hpux. I use it to edit .SQL files and everything
            > > is working great except when I press the tab key I get 4 spaces
            > > inserted and I only want three, but I can't determine where that is
            > > set. What I need is some help understanding the variables $tabsize
            > > and $tabwidth and where I should set them. I use the same tab width
            > > for all the types of files that I edit and I always want spaces
            > > inserted, so I would like to know where to make the change so that it
            > > is global for all file types.
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Rick.
            > >

            > =====
            > "Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." (Charles Lamb)

            > Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
            > http://news.yahoo.com

            Jon Green J.D.Naughton-Green
            Project Manager

            SAMSUNG Electronics (UK) Ltd
            The Communication Centre
            South Street
            Staines Tel(direct): +44 (0)1784 428614
            MIDDLESEX Tel(s/w board): +44 (0)1784 428600 ext 614
            TW18 4QE Fax: +44 (0)1784 428620
            England Email (work): jon@...
            Email (home): jon@...