ME 'vm' e-mail: Doesn't know how to split inbox (just one big msg)

  • thundt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11 2:33 PM
      Hi, I'm trying to use the 'vm' facility to read mail. Does this
      currently work? (Using ver 02/01/01.) I'd rather use ME than the
      pine/elm type of wimpy mail readers. (As long as I'm going to suffer,
      it's better to suffer with a program I can hack! :-) )

      Here's the deal:

      When a new message comes in, vm appends it to the inbox file, but does
      not show a new header for it in the message list window. It looks
      like it doesn't know how to tell one message from the mext. In Y!
      messages 469ff there is reference to a "standard divide line" and some
      advice on getting 'postie' (WinNT util) to generate one. In Unix mbox
      format, this is a line starting with "From", and I don't know of a way
      to change this. Surely vm knows how to deal with this, as it's been
      that way forever. Advice?

      Other questions:

      Is there a way to *quit* the VM facility (instead of merely hiding it
      and putting it in the background by hitting Del). I guess this would
      involve saving and killing all the vm
      windows plus doing a 'stop-mail-check'.

      Does somebody happen to have a good command line to Mime-encode a
      message? (There is an example for uuencoding; I assume we're supposed
      to put this in one of the Insert Data fields.)

      What does the "format mail message" ('f' command) do?
      The 'D' command (delete current mailbox) if used on 'inbox', does save
      one's work but doesn't actually delete anything. (I was thinking
      maybe that was a way to quit. But it seems to be the way to get back
      to the inbox without haveing to 'v' and type its name.)

      My setup is as follows in User Setup (platform is RedHat Linux 7.2).
      I've tried to follow the example in vm(3) as much as possible.

      User Mail Dir: /home/thundt/Mail
      Sent Mail Signature: /home/thundt/.sig (is the /home/thundt really
      necessary?)
      Carbon-Copy File: sentmail
      Send Mail Command: /usr/lib/sendmail -oi -oem -odi -t < %o (given in
      vm(3))
      Queue Outgoing Mail: N (what does this do? not in documentation)
      Check Mail Every: 60 sec (just for testing)
      Get Mail Command: (blank; use /var/mail mechanism)
      Incoming Mail Box: /var/mail/thundt
      VM Main In Box: inbox
      Mime Data Extract: rm -f /tmp/%b ; metamail -B -d -q -w -x -z %i ; mv
      -f /tmp/%b %o (the value given in vm(3))
      Uuencode Extract: rm -f %o ; uudecode %i ; rm -f %i (again, in vm(3))

      Thanks

      -Tom Hundt