Bullet chars 0xb7 and 0x95 unsupported

  • thundt
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 10, 2002
      I'm trying to fill paragraphs on a text file using the ISO8894
      bullet character 0xb7, and find this is unsupported. Actually it
      does something weird: it recognizes the very first bullet (only) and
      fills the rest of the bullets and text below that (i.e., ignores the
      other bullets).

      I added these chars to my $fill-bullet:
      set-variable $fill-bullet "*)].-+•·" ; incl. 0x95 and 0xb7
      set-variable $fill-bullet-len 5 ; how far to look for "bullet"

      0xb7 is the ISO 8894 one and works on Unix and Windows; 0x95 is
      nonstandard but works in some Windows fonts.

      Here is some sample text:

      · When Nasdaq becomes an exchange, all Nasdaq stocks will
      automatically be listed (MSFT, ORCL . . .)
      · Any exchange can trade any exchange-listed stock
      · Nasdaq will able to trade IBM

      And here are a couple of suggestions:

      Suggestion: when prompting user y/n to approve the fill column, allow
      a '!' to mean "yes to all" like in query-replace-string.

      Suggestion: when displaying nonstandard characters (0x95 comes up as
      \x95 in Unix) it would be nice if they were highlighted slightly to
      show they are something other than plain text.

      I know you guys are working on a new version of the fill routines;
      you
      can take the above as suggestions. I looked at the word.c code but
      couldn't figure out where the problem was.

      Thanks

      Regards,

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 12, 2002
        Looks like a bug to me, I will look into this and try to fix it, out of
        interest are you using fill-paragraph or ifill-paragraph?

        I like the first suggestion and will try to implement this, but the second
        is far more difficult as it depends very much on the location of the char,
        e.g if its in a string or part of a title etc, as the char may then already
        be drawing in a different scheme. So I'm not sure how best to do this.

      • thundt
        Message 3 of 3 , May 30, 2002
          --- In jasspa@y..., "Steven Phillips" <sphillips@p...> wrote:
          > Looks like a bug to me, I will look into this and try to fix it,
          out of
          > interest are you using fill-paragraph or ifill-paragraph?

          I'm using a wrapper around ifill-paragraph, which causes the cursor to
          be left at the *end* of the paragraph (ready to fill the next one).
          This lets me re-fill a bunch of them at once (e.g., ^U^Xp to fill the
          next four).

          ;------------------------------------------------------------
          ; my-ifill-paragraph: makes fill move cursor to end by default
          ; (use numarg of 0 to leave it in place -- default for ifill)
          ;------------------------------------------------------------
          define-macro my-ifill-paragraph
          !if @?
          !if &equ @# 0
          ifill-paragraph
          !else
          @# ifill-paragraph
          !endif
          !else
          1 ifill-paragraph
          !emacro
          !force global-bind-key my-ifill-paragraph "C-x p"