[jasspa] Re: prefix5

  • Jonathan Naughton-Green
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 14, 1999
      Detlef,

      There is no "prefix5" which is why it is not working. I have prototyped
      additional prefixes which appears to work with mininal changes - so this
      should be possible soon.

      You could try the "A-C" bindings as follows:-

      global-bind-key "yank" "A-C-v"
      global-bind-key "kill-region" "A-C-x"
      global-bind-key "copy-region" "A-C-c"

      These keystokes might be a little more fluid than "C-1" as the
      Ctrl-Alt keys are very close together (or use "Alt-Gr"). Could
      give this a go ???

      Detlef Groth wrote:

      > Hello MicroEmacs users,
      >
      > I would like to use a fifth prefix-shortcut like:
      > But ME shows me an error message for the prefix5 line.
      >
      > global-bind-key prefix5 "C-1"
      > global-bind-key "yank" "C-1 v"
      > global-bind-key "kill-region" "C-1 x"
      > global-bind-key "copy-region" "C-1 c"
      >
      > Any suggestions ?
      >
      > Detlef groth

      ASIDE
      -----
      As an aside your "prefix" binding left me with some worrying
      thoughts. Consider the current definition of "prefix4" defined
      in me.emf

      global-bind-key prefix4 "C-c"

      Now lets say for instance that the user wanted to change "C-c" for
      something else. i.e. "C-1". This would then cause problems as the
      macro definitions always define their keystrokes in terms of the
      raw characters, for example the next line in "me.emf" binds grep

      global-bind-key grep "C-c g"

      This has just used "prefix4", however it has not specified the
      key binding in terms of "prefix4". Now if you try to re-bind
      "prefix4" then in this partular instance "grep" will be bound
      to "C-1 g". (Because the binding has already been installed
      against the original prefix key). However there are alot of
      macro files (i.e. hkXXXX.emf) which get loaded late i.e. after
      the user.emf has been loaded. These might make reference to
      "C-c" commands i.e. in hkc.emf we have:-

      buffer-bind-key c-comment-line "C-c C-c"

      If we have already have changed the "prefix4" binding then
      we will expect "C-c C-c" to be bound to our new prefix
      "C-1 C-c" - which is not the case. Ideally this macro binding
      should be expressed in terms of it's prefix rather than
      the literal value of the 'expected' prefix. i.e.

      buffer-bind-key c-comment-line "prefix4 C-c"

      This would then make the macro definitions more resilent
      to 'unexpected' binding changes. This does have some
      unpleasent side effects as some of the keys appear in the
      OSD help pages i.e. on the help page then we have

      osd .osd.c-help 7 "" " C-c C-c - Comment out current line"

      This would no longer apply, writing:-

      osd .osd.c-help 7 "" " prefix4 C-c - Comment out current line"

      is deeply unpleasent. The only thing that you could do
      is ask for a return on the key bindinging for prefix4
      (which is not currently available). Lets assume we
      introduced a &kstroke macro that would return the literal
      key stroke (this is the opposite of &kbind), but with an
      expanded prefix, we could then re-write the OSD as:-

      osd .osd.c-help 7 "" &spr " %s - Comment out current line" &kstroke c-comment-line

      This would then get around the problem.

      This is probably further than I wanted to go with this - but
      does hilight a current problem. - The question is "Is it really
      worth sorting out ??"

      Jon Green J.D.Naughton-Green

      SAMSUNG Electronics Ltd

      any material posted to this list.