Re: mark hilighting & searching

  • thundt
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 22, 2002
      Check out 'set-position' and 'goto-position'. May give you part of
      what you want.

      -Th

      > and then waste a bunch of time trying
      > to find that point in the document
      > that you searched for - in order to
      > find the end point of your selection.
    • un_x
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 22, 2002
        i think those macros would be of use in solving
        the problem if there was a way to detect if a
        mark had been set or not. AFAIK, you can't
        detect a set mark ... ?

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 25, 2002
          ME only supports a single global hilight region, the $show-region variable
          can be used so make this region hilighting more persistent, but as soon as
          you redefine the hilight region (using set-mark or search etc - they both
          use the same region hilight) the old region is gone.

        • thundt
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 25, 2002
            Y'all might find this useful. Say I find something "interesting" in a
            logfile, and want to mark it to stand out. So I hit C-x l and it
            highlights that line, as if I used a marking pen. If I do it again,
            it removes it. Simple, fast, easy:

            ;------------------------------------------------------------
            ; hilight-line:
            ;------------------------------------------------------------
            define-macro hilight-line
            !if ¬ &equ $line-scheme -1 ; if hilit, remove it
            set-variable $line-scheme -1
            !else
            set-variable $line-scheme 22 ; yellow
            !force global-bind-key hilight-line "C-x l"

            Note that the numerical values here are dependent on the
            hilight-scheme. (I'm such a crude programmer.) So if they go and
            revamp it again, I'll have to re-figure-out what yellow is. :-)

            -Th

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 27, 2002
              You might like to look at the right mouse button menu's Hilight Line feature
              which does this, it also has access to a very useful search 'n' hilight
              feature (also accessible from the main menu Search -> Hilight Search). Also
              try hilighting a word or region first, it will hilight all lines containing
              that word - very quick and easy!