mark hilighting & searching

  • un_x
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 22, 2002
      it would be nice (maybe more normalized)
      if the search functions didn't turn off
      marked regions. often you may start
      a mark and then do a text search
      to find your end "point".

      otherwise, you are forced to do a search,
      and then waste a bunch of time trying
      to find that point in the document
      that you searched for - in order to
      find the end point of your selection.

      if you have a large document with
      many multi-screen selections that need
      to be made - it can become quite
      cumbersome searching with your
      eyes for your "point".

      also, it makes some sense since you aren't
      entering keystrokes into the document,
      which normally turns off a mark, you are
      merely scanning for the "point"/text.
      so the mark shouldn't be turned off.
      specifically, "query-replace-string".
    • thundt
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 22, 2002
        Check out 'set-position' and 'goto-position'. May give you part of
        what you want.

        -Th

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 22, 2002
          i think those macros would be of use in solving
          the problem if there was a way to detect if a
          mark had been set or not. AFAIK, you can't
          detect a set mark ... ?

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 25, 2002
            ME only supports a single global hilight region, the $show-region variable
            can be used so make this region hilighting more persistent, but as soon as
            you redefine the hilight region (using set-mark or search etc - they both
            use the same region hilight) the old region is gone.

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 25, 2002
              Y'all might find this useful. Say I find something "interesting" in a
              logfile, and want to mark it to stand out. So I hit C-x l and it
              highlights that line, as if I used a marking pen. If I do it again,
              it removes it. Simple, fast, easy:

              ;------------------------------------------------------------
              ; hilight-line:
              ;------------------------------------------------------------
              define-macro hilight-line
              !if ¬ &equ $line-scheme -1 ; if hilit, remove it
              set-variable $line-scheme -1
              !else
              set-variable $line-scheme 22 ; yellow
              !force global-bind-key hilight-line "C-x l"

              Note that the numerical values here are dependent on the
              hilight-scheme. (I'm such a crude programmer.) So if they go and
              revamp it again, I'll have to re-figure-out what yellow is. :-)

              -Th

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 27, 2002
                You might like to look at the right mouse button menu's Hilight Line feature
                which does this, it also has access to a very useful search 'n' hilight
                feature (also accessible from the main menu Search -> Hilight Search). Also
                try hilighting a word or region first, it will hilight all lines containing
                that word - very quick and easy!