RE: [jasspa] two questions....

  • Rick Owen
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 22, 2002
      Hi Steve,

      Thanks for the answer on setting tab width.

      > > 2. Is there a macro to implement indent-region?
      >
      > Is restyle-region what you are after (Format -> Restyle Region)? Or are you
      > after a 'indent all lines in region by X spaces'?

      That's what I want to do ...

      Indent (or unindent) all lines in region by x spaces.

      Rick.

      http://sports.yahoo.com
    • un_x
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 22, 2002
        you can make a rectangular selection
        of a column and copy it.

        or you can pipe the buffer region
        thru sed or whatever.

        --- In jasspa@y..., Rick Owen <rickowen@y...> wrote:
        > Hi Steve,
        >
        > Thanks for the answer on setting tab width.
        >

        > > > 2. Is there a macro to implement indent-region?
        > >
        > > Is restyle-region what you are after (Format -> Restyle Region)?
        Or are you
        > > after a 'indent all lines in region by X spaces'?
        >
        > That's what I want to do ...
        >
        > Indent (or unindent) all lines in region by x spaces.
        >

        > Rick.

        > http://sports.yahoo.com
      • thundt
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 22, 2002
          Here are a couple of simple macros to shove lines back and forth, by
          one "soft tab stop" (in my case I always use 4 spaces; this should
          probably come from a $tabxxxx variable or something).

          Maybe you'll find them useful or get an idea for your own hack.

          Note that in a text file, you can move the first line of a paragraph
          over and do ifill-paragraph and it will line up the rest of the
          paragraph with it.

          ;------------------------------------------------------------
          ; shove-over
          ;------------------------------------------------------------
          define-macro shove-over
          !while &gre &pdec @# 1 0 ; C-u prefix support
          beginning-of-line
          insert-string " "
          forward-line
          beginning-of-line
          !done
          !emacro
          global-bind-key shove-over "C-x C-i"

          ;------------------------------------------------------------
          ; shove-back
          ;------------------------------------------------------------
          define-macro shove-back
          !while &gre &pdec @# 1 0 ; C-u prefix support
          beginning-of-line
          !if &ise @wc " "
          forward-delete-char
          !if &ise @wc " "
          forward-delete-char
          !if &ise @wc " "
          forward-delete-char
          !if &ise @wc " "
          forward-delete-char
          forward-line
          beginning-of-line
          !done
          !emacro
          global-bind-key shove-back "C-x C-u"

          ;------------------------------------------------------------
          ; shove-home-line: moves line to left edge
          ;------------------------------------------------------------
          define-macro shove-home-line
          !while &gre &pdec @# 1 0 ; C-u prefix support
          beginning-of-line
          delete-spaces-and-tabs
          forward-line
          beginning-of-line
          !done
          !emacro
          global-bind-key shove-home-line "C-x C-k"

          --- In jasspa@y..., "un_x" <un_x@y...> wrote:
          > you can make a rectangular selection
          > of a column and copy it.
          >
          > or you can pipe the buffer region
          > thru sed or whatever.
          >
          > --- In jasspa@y..., Rick Owen <rickowen@y...> wrote:
          > > Hi Steve,
          > >
          > > Thanks for the answer on setting tab width.

          > > > Is restyle-region what you are after (Format -> Restyle Region)?
          > Or are you
          > > > after a 'indent all lines in region by X spaces'?
          > >
          > > That's what I want to do ...
          > >
          > > Indent (or unindent) all lines in region by x spaces.
          > >

          > > Rick.

          > > Yahoo! Sports - Coverage of the 2002 Olympic Games
          > > http://sports.yahoo.com
        • Rick Owen
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 23, 2002
            Greetings,

            I wish I knew more about the script language and I wouldn't have to ask these
            questions. In the case of both macros, they only work on the current line --
            although they work great there! :). Am I doing something wrong? I set the mark
            and then move up or down several lines and invoke one of these macros and only
            the current line is affected.

            Thanks,
            Rick

            --- thundt <thundt@...> wrote:
            > Here are a couple of simple macros to shove lines back and forth, by
            > one "soft tab stop" (in my case I always use 4 spaces; this should
            > probably come from a $tabxxxx variable or something).
            >
            > Maybe you'll find them useful or get an idea for your own hack.
            >
            > Note that in a text file, you can move the first line of a paragraph
            > over and do ifill-paragraph and it will line up the rest of the
            > paragraph with it.
            >

            > ;------------------------------------------------------------
            > ; shove-over
            > ;------------------------------------------------------------
            > define-macro shove-over
            > !while &gre &pdec @# 1 0 ; C-u prefix support
            > beginning-of-line
            > insert-string " "
            > forward-line
            > beginning-of-line
            > !done
            > !emacro
            > global-bind-key shove-over "C-x C-i"
            >

            > ;------------------------------------------------------------
            > ; shove-back
            > ;------------------------------------------------------------
            > define-macro shove-back
            > !while &gre &pdec @# 1 0 ; C-u prefix support
            > beginning-of-line
            > !if &ise @wc " "
            > forward-delete-char
            > !if &ise @wc " "
            > forward-delete-char
            > !if &ise @wc " "
            > forward-delete-char
            > !if &ise @wc " "
            > forward-delete-char
            > !endif
            > !endif
            > !endif
            > !endif
            > forward-line
            > beginning-of-line
            > !done
            > !emacro
            > global-bind-key shove-back "C-x C-u"
            >

            > ;------------------------------------------------------------
            > ; shove-home-line: moves line to left edge
            > ;------------------------------------------------------------
            > define-macro shove-home-line
            > !while &gre &pdec @# 1 0 ; C-u prefix support
            > beginning-of-line
            > delete-spaces-and-tabs
            > forward-line
            > beginning-of-line
            > !done
            > !emacro
            > global-bind-key shove-home-line "C-x C-k"
            >

            > --- In jasspa@y..., "un_x" <un_x@y...> wrote:
            > > you can make a rectangular selection
            > > of a column and copy it.
            > >
            > > or you can pipe the buffer region
            > > thru sed or whatever.
            > >
            > > --- In jasspa@y..., Rick Owen <rickowen@y...> wrote:
            > > > Hi Steve,
            > > >
            > > > Thanks for the answer on setting tab width.

            > > Or are you
            > > >
            > > > That's what I want to do ...
            > > >
            > > > Indent (or unindent) all lines in region by x spaces.
            > > >

            > > > Rick.

            > > > Yahoo! Sports - Coverage of the 2002 Olympic Games
            > > > http://sports.yahoo.com

            =====
            "And the only reason a road is good, as every wanderer knows,
            Is just because of the homes, the homes, the homes to which it goes."
            (Joyce Kilmer - "Main Street" and other poems)

            http://sports.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 23, 2002
              Looking at the macros (without running them) they
              are looping in @# - this is the numeric argument
              given to the call.

              Hence

              Esc-24 Esc-x shove-over

              will probably process 24 lines.

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 23, 2002
                Here is an alternative macro for you. Called
                "shove-over-region" which is probably what
                you are looking for:-

                define-macro shove-over-region
                set-variable #l0 $window-line
                set-alpha-mark "<"
                exchange-point-and-mark
                !if &gre $window-line #l0
                set-variable #l0 $window-line
                set-alpha-mark "<"
                exchange-point-and-mark
                !endif
                beginning-of-line
                set-variable #l1 @wl
                !while &less $window-line #l0
                beginning-of-line
                $tabsize insert-string " "
                !force forward-line
                ; Check for end of buffer.
                !if ¬ $status
                goto-alpha-mark "<"
                !return
                !endif
                !done
                goto-alpha-mark "<"
                !emacro

                Note that $tabsize is used to control the
                indent rather than the fixed 4 spaced in the
                other macro example. You could mix the
                two macros and check for a numeric argument
                and do a fixed number of lines otherwise
                do a region etc.