[jasspa] hilight schemes -- SQL -- Sybase variant

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 1999
      I was trying to add some missing Sybase keywords to the hilight scheme for SQL (hksql.emf, which really seems to be for BNF, not SQL) but I get the message "Table full, can't add <newkeyword>, optimise!" (where <newkeyword> is something like return, datetime, print, etc. that are keywords in Sybase SQL).

      I tried deleting ones that aren't needed, to free up space:
      -1 hilight .hilight.sql 1 "actor"
      -1 hilight .hilight.sql 1 "absolute"

      but this didn't actually free up any space :-)

      So now I'm down to commenting out hksql.emf lines, which I know will work, or rewriting it for Sybase only (and having two versions of hksql lying around). I don't like hacking vendor code, and was wondering if there was a better way. A variable that sets the size of the hilight buffers, or some way to add to the size of them, or maybe a "reoptimise" command that makes deletions free up space.

      Suggestions, ideas?

      Thanks,

      -Th

      p.s. Obviously, I *love* the hilighting... its capabilities are amazing!
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 29, 1999
        Thomas,

        To free up space in the hilighting then you create groups using
        the "hilight <id> 0x200 <name>" syntax.

        So consider the hilighting tags:-

        hilight .hilight.sql 1 "operation" .scheme.keyword
        hilight .hilight.sql 1 "operator" .scheme.keyword
        hilight .hilight.sql 1 "operators" .scheme.keyword

        Now, group the common components by introducing a new tag:-

        hilight .hilight.sql 0x200 "operat"
        hilight .hilight.sql 1 "operation" .scheme.keyword
        hilight .hilight.sql 1 "operator" .scheme.keyword
        hilight .hilight.sql 1 "operators" .scheme.keyword

        This has the effect of optimising the hilighting and reduces the
        size of the lookup table.

        I suggest that you fold as many of the sections up like this to
        give you more room in the tables. (See hknroff.emf for an example)

        OK so you don't like hacking vendor code. Well I suggest that you
        take the existing 'hksql' file in it's entirity. Make as many
        changes as you like to get the hilighting working for Sybase. Add
        some macro tools if you need to. When you have finished then mail
        it back to the Vendor. I'm damned sure that in this case the
        Vendor will be very pleased that you did it and will probably turn
        it into Vendor code with your permission !!

        According to the current documentation the "hksql" provides
        minimal hilighting. This basically means it does some hilighting
        and not a lot else.

        Jon Green - jon@...