[jasspa] Re: problem german (non-english/american) keyboard and screen fonts in 99 Beta 2

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 16, 1999
      1) Delete the font selection that you have added in your me.emf.
      I suggest that you temporarily remove the key translations
      get the following working and then restore the
      translations that are not provided as part of the
      German set-up.

      2) The following looks a bit difficult, but is probably the
      best way to define your user directory especially if
      multiple people log into the same machine. This is the most
      permanent way to set up the user set up, and once done should
      not require that much future maintenance. It also makes it
      much easier to move between releases as the "macros" directory
      does not become polluted with user defined files. Most of
      this is normally done in the Install Shield installation - however
      this is not available for the Beta2 release yet :-(

      Set up the me32.ini in the c:\winnt directory so that the user
      paths are set up correctly. There are 2 variables to set up,
      "mepath" and "userpath". i.e. my entries are as follows. Note
      that I am running a modified beta here, so instead of
      "me990828" then you will probably use
      c:\Program Files\JASSPA\MicroEmacs". If you are dual booting
      NT/Win95b then you will need 2 me32.ini files, one for each
      system, located in the "c:\winnt" and "c:\windows" directories
      respectively.

      [Defaults]
      mepath=c:\me990828\samsung;c:\me990828\macros
      userpath=c:\me990828
      [jon]
      msdevEnableEmacs=0
      msdevAutoClose=0
      infopath=c:/info

      My MicroEmacs directory looks like this:-

      c:\me990828
      +-- macros - Standard macros.
      +-- samsung - Company files
      + samsung.emf
      + .....
      +-- jon - Personal files.
      + jon.emf
      + jon.erf
      + jon.edf
      + ....

      The search paths are defined in the .ini file and are
      used as follows:-

      $userpath\<logname>;$mepath

      Where <logname> is the name that you login to the system as. So the
      "userpath" in my case is defined as:-

      userpath=c:\me990828

      the <logname> is automatically appended. Hence all of my personal
      files are located in directory "c:\me990828\jon", where "jon"
      is my login name.

      The "mepath" typically includes an optional company directory
      path, followed by the macros directory. In my case these are
      defined as:-

      mepath=c:\me990828\samsung;c:\me990828\macros

      In your case you might use "ford" instead of "samsung" ??

      The [jon] entry in the .ini file are my personal environment
      settings. This simply allows you to set up any values that
      you want pushed into the environment when you start the editor.

      3) Once the environment is set up then use "Help->user-setup"
      use your own login name.

      Define the setup files in "Startup" page.

      Log Name: jon
      SetupPath: c:/me990828/jon/
      SetupFile: jon <--- i.e. c:/me990828/jon/jon.emf
      Company File: samsung

      ** Set up your keyboard and Language (for the speller here)
      I assume that you require "Deutsch (Ext)". You will need
      to download the base and extended German Dictionaries.

      Modify the font settings on the "Platform" page, the "(box)
      mode renders the box characters for you in ANSI mode, this
      just makes for cleaner rendering. i.e

      Font Name: Lucida Console
      OEM/ANSI: A
      Weight & Size: 4 0 -11
      Display Font Set: Windows ANSI (box)
      Scroll Bars: Wide with Splitter
      Horiz Scroll: Default, One Line
      Vert Scroll: Smooth single Line
      Color Scheme: Black on Cream

      Then "Save" and "Current". These settings will be used
      there after.

      All of this information is stored in the file "<logname>.erf" and
      is saved at the end of your editing session along with your
      history etc.

      The history is automatically read in on each session. If you
      re-start the editor with a "-c" then all of the previous
      context of the editor is restored next session, this is
      typically used with a desktop short-cut.

      For, special characters also look at the on-line help
      for "iso-accents-mode", which is under the "Keyboard
      Binding Commands" section.

      Hope this helps. Please advise if you think that there are
      keyboard translations missing with respect to the German
      environment etc.

      Jon Green - jon@...