Re: [jasspa] Question regarding trailing white spaces

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 21 9:58 AM
      The macro "clean" will remove all trailing
      white space from all lines. (format.emf)

      I usually define a macro called "spotless"
      which cleans all lines and removes any
      double white space lines:-

      > ; spotless; Perform a clean and remove any multi-blank lines.
      > define-macro spotless
      > -1 clean
      > !emacro

      This just calls 'clean' with a -1 argument
      that does the line killing as well.

      The best way to do what you want is to redefine
      the C-x C-s binding with a macro that performs
      the save for you and does some other work that
      you want. The following would be defined in
      your <user>.emf file i.e.

      Rick Owen wrote:

      > Greetings,
      >
      > Is there a standard macro that will trim trailing white spaces? If so, is
      > there a way to hook the file save process so that the trim trailing white
      > spaces macro can process the file being saved?
      >
      > This would be on an HPUX system running me via telnet.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Rick.

      > http://sports.yahoo.com

      Jon Green J.D.Naughton-Green
      Project Manager

      SAMSUNG Electronics (UK) Ltd
      The Communication Centre
      South Street
      Staines Tel(direct): +44 (0)1784 428614
      MIDDLESEX Tel(s/w board): +44 (0)1784 428600 ext 614
      TW18 4QE Fax: +44 (0)1784 428620
      England Email (work): jon@...
      Email (home): jon@...
    • Rick Owen
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 21 10:27 AM
        Hi Jon,

        That works great. One last question if you don't mind. How would you go about
        writing a macro that does the equivalent of

        save-buffers-exit-emacs

        but cleans and saves each modified file before exiting instead of just saves.

        Thanks,
        Rick.

        --- Jon Green <jnaught@...> wrote:
        > The macro "clean" will remove all trailing
        > white space from all lines. (format.emf)
        >
        > I usually define a macro called "spotless"
        > which cleans all lines and removes any
        > double white space lines:-
        >
        > > ; spotless; Perform a clean and remove any multi-blank lines.
        > > define-macro spotless
        > > -1 clean
        > > !emacro
        >
        > This just calls 'clean' with a -1 argument
        > that does the line killing as well.
        >
        > The best way to do what you want is to redefine
        > the C-x C-s binding with a macro that performs
        > the save for you and does some other work that
        > you want. The following would be defined in
        > your <user>.emf file i.e.
        >
        > > define-macro my-save-buffer
        > > clean
        > > !nma save-buffer
        > > !emacro
        > >
        > > global-bind-key my-save-buffer "C-x C-s"

        > Rick Owen wrote:
        > >
        > > Greetings,
        > >
        > > Is there a standard macro that will trim trailing white spaces? If so, is
        > > there a way to hook the file save process so that the trim trailing white
        > > spaces macro can process the file being saved?
        > >
        > > This would be on an HPUX system running me via telnet.
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Rick.

        > > Yahoo! Sports - Coverage of the 2002 Olympic Games
        > > http://sports.yahoo.com

        > --
        >
        > Jon Green J.D.Naughton-Green
        > Project Manager
        >
        > SAMSUNG Electronics (UK) Ltd
        > Samsung Electronics Research Institute (Audio / Visual Labs)
        > The Communication Centre
        > South Street
        > Staines Tel(direct): +44 (0)1784 428614
        > MIDDLESEX Tel(s/w board): +44 (0)1784 428600 ext 614
        > TW18 4QE Fax: +44 (0)1784 428620
        > England Email (work): jon@...
        > Email (home): jon@...

        =====
        "And the only reason a road is good, as every wanderer knows,
        Is just because of the homes, the homes, the homes to which it goes."
        (Joyce Kilmer - "Main Street" and other poems)

        http://sports.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 22 1:36 AM
          Look at the macro osd-save-all defined in osd.emf,

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          =====
          "And the only reason a road is good, as every wanderer knows,
          Is just because of the homes, the homes, the homes to which it goes."
          (Joyce Kilmer - "Main Street" and other poems)

          http://sports.yahoo.com

          modify your account settings manually.

        • thundt
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 22 11:15 AM
            Here is a macro to 'clean' just ONE line:

            ;------------------------------------------------------------
            ; trim-line: get rid of whitespace at end of line
            ;------------------------------------------------------------
            define-macro trim-line
            beginning-of-line
            set-variable #l1 &trright @wl
            !if &gre &len #l1 0
            kill-line
            insert-string #l1
            !if ¬ &bmode "line"
            newline

            And here is one to 'clean' the spaces from the BEGINNING of lines
            (useful when copy/pasting from Netscape into a ME buffer)

            ;------------------------------------------------------------
            ; kill-leading-whitespace
            ;------------------------------------------------------------
            define-macro kill-leading-whitespace
            beginning-of-buffer
            replace-string "^[ \t]+" ""
            beginning-of-buffer
            !emacro

            --- In jasspa@y..., Jon Green <jnaught@s...> wrote:
            > The macro "clean" will remove all trailing
            > white space from all lines. (format.emf)
            >
            > I usually define a macro called "spotless"
            > which cleans all lines and removes any
            > double white space lines:-
            >
            > > ; spotless; Perform a clean and remove any multi-blank lines.
            > > define-macro spotless
            > > -1 clean
            > > !emacro
            >
            > This just calls 'clean' with a -1 argument
            > that does the line killing as well.
            >
            > The best way to do what you want is to redefine
            > the C-x C-s binding with a macro that performs
            > the save for you and does some other work that
            > you want. The following would be defined in
            > your <user>.emf file i.e.
            >
            > > define-macro my-save-buffer
            > > clean
            > > !nma save-buffer
            > > !emacro
            > >
            > > global-bind-key my-save-buffer "C-x C-s"

            > Rick Owen wrote:
            > >
            > > Greetings,
            > >
            > > Is there a standard macro that will trim trailing white spaces?
            If so, is
            > > there a way to hook the file save process so that the trim
            trailing white
            > > spaces macro can process the file being saved?
            > >
            > > This would be on an HPUX system running me via telnet.
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Rick.

            > > Yahoo! Sports - Coverage of the 2002 Olympic Games
            > > http://sports.yahoo.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            > --

            > Jon Green