Re: general questions/problems

  • un_x
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 21 3:04 AM
      FBSD4/latest ME.

      > 1. how can you bind C-@?
      > i tried "\x00" "0x00" "C-@" "C- " "C-space"
      > etc, and none works ...

      > (search for $recent-keys).

      ok, thanks.

      > 2. i think if OVERWRITE mode is ON, rectangle blocks
      > should "paste" OVER text ... as of now it appears
      > ME just "inserts" blocks regardless of OVERWRITE mode.

      > This is not a common way of doing things (Emacs, MicroEMACS, Word
      etc) but
      > could be implemented in a macro using @y. But there are issues when
      the yank
      > buffer contains a new-line char ('\n'), typically these are
      inserted, if so
      > what happens to any remaining chars on the original line?? etc.

      For example, given the following yank buffer:

      ---------
      "Hello
      World and all that"
      ---------

      And the following buffer with the cursor at the '^'

      ---------
      This is the ^ point of
      insertion
      ---------

      The following are all legitimate results from an overwrite yank:

      ---------
      This is the Hello
      World and all thatt of
      insertion
      ---------
      This is the Hello
      World and all that
      insertion
      ---------
      This is the Hello
      World and all that
      ---------

      > So how this would behave is fair less well defined hence the
      standard of
      > inserting blocks (I think I would favour the middle result but much
      prefer
      > the simple insertion as I know what I'm going to get).

      i think it should end up as (as in Qedit 3.0 and Joe 2.8):

      ---------
      This is the Hello point of
      insertion World and all that
      ---------

      pastes after EOL's should have spaces inserted.
      rectangular selections should have all newlines stripped.
      it should be treated like a rectangle block
      being dropped into a grid.

      > 3. is there a way to insert "literal" control chars?
      > ie, instead of ^B, i'd like a smilie face,
      > instead of ^F, i'd like to see a diamond.
      > normal PC charset.

      > Use:
      > set-char-mask "dp" "\CB\CF"

      ok, i'll try it thanks.

      > 4. is there a limit on keybindings? i have over a 100
      > and although i haven't tracked the problem down
      > specifically, certain bindings seems to disappear
      > when i add more, and they come back when i reduce the
      > amount. there is no consistency in regards to the order
      > so it will take me a while to figure out what is going on.

      > Yes there is a limit, 384, there are a 181 burnt in default ones,
      that goes
      > up to 209 when me.emf is run and when I use ME a further 34 are
      added (due
      > to the mouse and MSShift support etc - I only add 4 of my own
      bindings)
      > getting the total to 243, leaving ~140 left.

      > So the question has to be why are you using so many? With only 50
      odd keys
      > on a keyboard this is like adding 2 new prefixes and binding every
      key on
      > the keyboard to it. It suggest to me that you are completely
      reconfiguring
      > the key-bindings in which case you should unbind the ones you don't
      want
      > first (use '-1 global-unbind-key "y"' to unbind the lot or use '0
      > global-unbind-key "esc"' etc to get rid of the main prefix keys and
      all
      > their bindings).

      i have that many bindings because like like to complement my CTRL
      bindings with ESC in case i am on a tty that "eats" some CTRL chars.
      i do unbind all initial bindings as described. the problem was
      with binding "esc g" to "abort" - that causes problems and i
      have a me.emf file that will prove it.

      > 5. is there a way to keep the *scratch* buffer from appearing?
      > if i want a scratch buffer, i can make one and it's kind of
      > annoying to always have "*scratch*" in my buffers when i
      > never wanted it or asked for one. it's just always
      > nagging to be deleted. i thought of using hooks, and
      > deleting "*scratch*" when a hook executes, but that seems
      > kinda dirty, since it will end up trying to delete "*scratch*"
      > even though it will be gone after the first delete.

      > Or define a start-up macro to delete the initial *scratch* buffer
      (see docs
      > on start-up) - ME must have at least one buffer so when you delete
      the last
      > buffer the *scratch* buffer will be created again, I don't see a way
      around
      > this.

      if no files are given as arguments, *scratch* pops up as the default
      buffer.
      otherwise it does not pop up ... that would seem like a nice way,
      IMHO.

      > 6. is there a way to detect if a mark is set? i want to mark
      > an entire buffer if it is unset, and leave it set if it is.
      > ... for use in user-defined macros.

      > Try:

      > define-macro Test-mark
      > !force exchange-point-and-mark
      > !if $status
      > exchange-point-and-mark
      > ml-write "Mark is set"
      > !else
      > ml-write "Mark is not set"
      > !endif
      > !emacro

      > I can't stop the 'not set' case from ringing the bell - not such a
      problem
      > if you use quiet mode. I will fix this.

      thanks :) i will try it :)

      > 7. i think this is a known bug - the rectangle highlighting
      > still highlights in line mode, not block mode. it is functional
      > in rectangle modes however, just not the marking. how about
      > a mark highlights rectangularly if the 1st key is left/right
      > and not if the 1st key after a set-mark is up/down?
      > or a rectangle "mode" as in wrap/overwrite/etc...

      > I don't think that rectangle regions are used enough to warrant
      this, I
      > certainly don't want to have to move the cursor down to get the
      normal
      > region hilight.

      left-to-right selections are the same in rectangle and line modes ...

      > If the cursor moving region hilight does not do the
      > rectangle region then the only time it would be used is on the
      > yank-rectangle command and thats a lot of code for one minor
      feature. ME is
      > a careful balance between power and size, we have added the ability
      to do
      > rectangle regions but I don't think the hilighting of the region can
      be
      > justified, sorry.

      ok :)

      > 8. "quote" should allow decimal/hex numbers, not just
      > literal keystrokes ... ? i'd like to be able to generate
      > any ascii char, not just typable ones.

      > A simple macro could be written to do this.

      ok :)

      > 9. looking forward to a system() macro that throws ME into the
      > background allowing an interactive program to be used
      > (such as Ispell for example) on ME buffer data.

      > The filter-buffer command should be able to do this as it uses
      system so
      > there is nothing to stop the command being run from opening a window
      etc.

      well - filter-buffer jsut dumps stdout to a buffer, i am askingF
      how to spawn an interactive program from "me". one requiring
      user input, one that doesn't dump stdout to a buffer, but
      merely spawns a process. and when the process exits,
      "me" returns to the foreground.

      > great editor!

      > Glad you like it,

      i don't just like it - it's really all there is.
      what else is there? vim? kinda big, kinda crazy.
      emacs? way too big. there simply is *NO* otherF
      editor with termcap based syntax highlighting
      of reasonable size (small enough to fit on a floppy).