[jasspa] Re: problem german (non-english/american) keyboard and screen fonts in 99 Beta 2

  • Steven Phillips,,,
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 15, 1999
      Klu,

      > In ver 99 Beta 2
      > the command change-font gives me only an interactive windows screen - at
      > every time
      > I start emacs I have to change the font interactively .
      >
      > Is it possible to change the screen font in me.emf automaticaly to an ANSI
      > Font?
      > Changes in me32.ini has no effect it always use app850.fon.
      > (main question)

      The change-font has changed in the new '99 version, you need to give it an
      argument of 1 to make it behave as before, i.e.

      1 change-font "Courier" "1" "7" "10" "18"

      BUT, please use the user-setup command instead, either use "esc x user-setup"
      or from the main menu select Help then User Setup

      Why? Because ME now tries to configure everything for you, e.g. If you set
      your font to Courier / Ansi (Platform page) ME can now print box chars using
      an 'internal hook'. So the Display font (Platform Page) should be set to
      "Windows ANSI (box)". Which ever Display font you select the $box-chars should
      be setup appropriately for you.

      Also if you set your Keyboard (Start-Up page in Language Setup) to Deutsch the
      first list of translate-key's are automatically done for you, I don't think
      you will need the rest of them for this release.

      So by simply setting the Keyboard and Font in user-setup you should not need
      to do anything else. I would, however, recommend you download the Deutsch
      dictionary and language support file (if you haven't already) and set your
      language to Deutsch as this will give you correct word movement etc.

      Hope this helps,

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 16, 1999
        1) Delete the font selection that you have added in your me.emf.
        I suggest that you temporarily remove the key translations
        get the following working and then restore the
        translations that are not provided as part of the
        German set-up.

        2) The following looks a bit difficult, but is probably the
        best way to define your user directory especially if
        multiple people log into the same machine. This is the most
        permanent way to set up the user set up, and once done should
        not require that much future maintenance. It also makes it
        much easier to move between releases as the "macros" directory
        does not become polluted with user defined files. Most of
        this is normally done in the Install Shield installation - however
        this is not available for the Beta2 release yet :-(

        Set up the me32.ini in the c:\winnt directory so that the user
        paths are set up correctly. There are 2 variables to set up,
        "mepath" and "userpath". i.e. my entries are as follows. Note
        that I am running a modified beta here, so instead of
        "me990828" then you will probably use
        c:\Program Files\JASSPA\MicroEmacs". If you are dual booting
        NT/Win95b then you will need 2 me32.ini files, one for each
        system, located in the "c:\winnt" and "c:\windows" directories
        respectively.

        [Defaults]
        mepath=c:\me990828\samsung;c:\me990828\macros
        userpath=c:\me990828
        [jon]
        msdevEnableEmacs=0
        msdevAutoClose=0
        infopath=c:/info

        My MicroEmacs directory looks like this:-

        c:\me990828
        +-- macros - Standard macros.
        +-- samsung - Company files
        + samsung.emf
        + .....
        +-- jon - Personal files.
        + jon.emf
        + jon.erf
        + jon.edf
        + ....

        The search paths are defined in the .ini file and are
        used as follows:-

        $userpath\<logname>;$mepath

        Where <logname> is the name that you login to the system as. So the
        "userpath" in my case is defined as:-

        userpath=c:\me990828

        the <logname> is automatically appended. Hence all of my personal
        files are located in directory "c:\me990828\jon", where "jon"
        is my login name.

        The "mepath" typically includes an optional company directory
        path, followed by the macros directory. In my case these are
        defined as:-

        mepath=c:\me990828\samsung;c:\me990828\macros

        In your case you might use "ford" instead of "samsung" ??

        The [jon] entry in the .ini file are my personal environment
        settings. This simply allows you to set up any values that
        you want pushed into the environment when you start the editor.

        3) Once the environment is set up then use "Help->user-setup"
        use your own login name.

        Define the setup files in "Startup" page.

        Log Name: jon
        SetupPath: c:/me990828/jon/
        SetupFile: jon <--- i.e. c:/me990828/jon/jon.emf
        Company File: samsung

        ** Set up your keyboard and Language (for the speller here)
        I assume that you require "Deutsch (Ext)". You will need
        to download the base and extended German Dictionaries.

        Modify the font settings on the "Platform" page, the "(box)
        mode renders the box characters for you in ANSI mode, this
        just makes for cleaner rendering. i.e

        Font Name: Lucida Console
        OEM/ANSI: A
        Weight & Size: 4 0 -11
        Display Font Set: Windows ANSI (box)
        Scroll Bars: Wide with Splitter
        Horiz Scroll: Default, One Line
        Vert Scroll: Smooth single Line
        Color Scheme: Black on Cream

        Then "Save" and "Current". These settings will be used
        there after.

        All of this information is stored in the file "<logname>.erf" and
        is saved at the end of your editing session along with your
        history etc.

        The history is automatically read in on each session. If you
        re-start the editor with a "-c" then all of the previous
        context of the editor is restored next session, this is
        typically used with a desktop short-cut.

        For, special characters also look at the on-line help
        for "iso-accents-mode", which is under the "Keyboard
        Binding Commands" section.

        Hope this helps. Please advise if you think that there are
        keyboard translations missing with respect to the German
        environment etc.

        Jon Green - jon@...