RE: nanoEmacs

  • Kludszuweit Dr, Arne (A.)
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 18, 2002
      Detlef,Steve
      you are right:

      global-bind-key "query-replace-string" "f6";

      works fine

      a listed this command which does not work
      global-bind-key "command-apropos" "f1"; C-h a
      global-bind-key "describe-key" "S-f1"; C-x ?
      global-bind-key osd-redo "f12 r"

      global-abbrev-file "arne.eaf"
      add-file-hook ".m" fhook-m
      force execute-file osd.emf
      add-file-hook ".vbs" fhook-vbs

      > I would be interested in getting any feedback on features which you think
      > could be removed and ones which have been remove which you think are
      > required.
      OK

      1) undo/redo
      As in the big MicroEmacs the undo-buffer is cleared after an Save File Operation
      Can you change this behavior.
      I need the undo/redo-buffer after the Save operation !!!
      osd-redo or similar redo missed

      2) filter-buffer (I use 4dos)

      3) diff compare-windows..

      4) command-apropos

      5) set-encryption-key find-cfile handling of encrypted files

      6) describe-key describe-variable

      7) append-file or better append region to file or clipboard

      6) ascii-time

      I think the hooks and abbrev-files are not so important.

      !! very important
      Can you compile the NanoEmacs for an 8086/80186 er Palmtop (Dos Real Mode)
      (I have 5 such Palmtops)

      I'm very interested in the new version and I will try to use NanoEmacs every day ..

      Arne

      P.S.

      As you sad I made a list of all available commands, they are
      abort-command
      about
      add-color
      add-color-scheme
      backward-char
      backward-delete-char
      backward-delete-tab
      backward-kill-word
      backward-line
      backward-word
      beginning-of-line
      biginning-of-buffer
      buffer-info
      buffer-mode
      capitalize-word
      change-buffer-name
      change-directory
      change-file-name
      change-font
      change-screen-depth
      change-screen-width
      copy-region
      define-macro
      define-macro-file
      delete-blank-lines
      delete-buffer
      delete-other-windows
      delete-some-buffers
      delete-window
      describe-bindings
      end-kbd-macro
      end-of-buffer
      end-of-line
      exchange-point-and-mark
      execute-buffer
      execute-file
      execute-kbd-macro
      execute-line
      execute-named-command
      execute-string
      exit-emacs
      find-buffer
      find-file
      forward-char
      forward-delete-char
      forward-kill-word
      forward-line
      forward-word
      global-bind-key
      global-mode
      global-unbind-key
      goto-alpha-mark
      goto-line
      goto-matching-fence
      grow-window-horizontally
      grow-window-vertically
      hunt-backward
      hunt-forward
      inser-newline
      insert-file
      insert-file-name
      insert-space
      insert-string
      insert-tab
      isearch-backward
      isearch-forward
      kill-line
      kill-region
      list-buffers
      lower-case-region
      lower-case-word
      ml-clear
      ml-write
      named-buffer-mode
      newline
      next-buffer
      next-window
      pipe-shell-command
      popup-window
      prefix
      previous-window
      query-replace-string
      quick-exit
      quote-char
      read-file
      recenter
      replace-string
      resize-all-windows
      resize-window-horizontally
      resize-window-vertically
      reyank
      save-buffer
      save-buffers-exit-emacs
      save-some-buffers
      screen-poke
      screen-update
      scroll-down
      scroll-left
      scroll-right
      scroll-up
      search-backward
      search-forward
      set-alpha-mark
      set-mark
      set-variable
      shell
      shell-command
      show-cursor
      show-region
      shrink-window-horizontally
      shrink-window-vertically
      sort-lines
      split-window-horizontally
      split-window-vertically
      start-kbd-macro
      tab
      translate-key
      transpose-chars
      transpose-lines
      undo
      universal-argument
      unset-variable
      upper-case-word
      view-file
      void
      write-buffer
      yank

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 18, 2002
        Arne,

        To get the size down (its about half the size) we have had to take out all
        but the basics, so things like file-hooks and osd just had to go. The ethos
        behind ne is that its a lite-weight version which does not require any setup
        files (ne.emf is just a nice-to-have). Given that there are no macros where
        is no point have many features (such as hilighting, fhooks, osd, spelling
        etc) as they rely on macros to make them useful.

        Redo is a natural part of Undo, when you use undo any undo is considered an
        edit so it is added to the undo list, once you stop using undo (eg execute
        the abort-command 'C-g') the position in the undo stack is reset to the end
        which includes all the undo edits so a call to undo will now redo the
        undo's - did that make sense? To demonstrate what I mean, create a new
        buffer and type "12345" then just using the undo command ('C-_') undo all
        the 5 characters, then press C-g and then start undoing again, now you will
        see the "12345" string being reinserted and then they are removed again,
        this is first undoing the undo and then undoing the typing. Once the you are
        back to the beginning again press C-g and start undoing again, now you will
        see the "12345" being inserted, then removed then inserted again and then
        removed because it is undoing the 2nd undos, then the 1st undos and then the
        typing etc etc. Its confusing but extremely useful.

        NE can also Keep Undo History, this is a $system bit setting, try:

        set-variable $system &add $system 0x8000

        BUT if you execute the line more than once it will go wrong as its adding an
        extra 0x8000 each time, it would be better to use

        set-variable $system &bor $system 0x8000

        Which is safe, but &bor has been removed from NE, I think this needs to be
        put back in along with &band.

        I am amazed that someone uses filter-buffer! What do you use it for? I am
        genuinely interested, I was tempted to remove it from ME as well as I think
        an ME macro could be written to do what ever is done by the filter-buffer.

        2 & 3 rely on spawning capability which particularly on windows is a big
        hit, the basic editors (edit, notepad etc) do not have this facility. I
        think whether shell or pipe-shell-command is required in NE is questionable
        and hence we want feedback like this.

        4 & 6 are help function, only the basic describe-bindings and list-buffers
        are provided as it is assumed the user is familiar with MicroEmacs or at
        least has access to it.

        5, 7 & 8 are I think are all advance features - something's got to go from
        ME to get the size down!

        We are obvious trying to come up with something that is useful to the
        majority but there will always be exceptions. The next release will include
        the source code (standard MicroEmacs code with a lot of #ifdefs) and in
        emain.h there is a simple list of MEOPTs, you can of course simply enable an
        option like MEOPT_CRYPT to get set-encryption-key, MEOPT_SPAWN to get .....
        I would however still like feedback so that we can make the default NE as
        useful to the majority as possible.