Re: [jasspa] news: nanoEmacs

  • dgroth@gmx.de
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 16, 2002

      >We have taken it off line while we sort out some
      >further issues. However it is still accessible
      >from:
      >
      > http://www.jasspa.com/hindex.html
      >
      >Regards
      >Jon.
      >
      >"Kludszuweit Dr, Arne (A.)" wrote:
      >>
      >> I can't find the version of nanoEmacs ...
      >>
      >> Arne

      An interesting idea for small systems etc.

      you can even further nanosize ne with upx:

      http://upx.sourceforge.net/

      I reduced ne32.exe from 212,992 byte to 106,496 byte using this

      compressor thereafter renaming it picoEmacs ...

      regards,

      Detlef
      --
      Dr. Detlef Groth
      Max-Planck-Institut
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 17, 2002
        Both global-bind-key & query-replace-string should be available so I'm not
        sure why the line below does not work - it does for me (groan!). The first
        cut had a few teething problems and I assume this is one of them.

        To get a list of commands use the command completion on the ml line, i.e.
        execute execute-named-command (esc x) and then press tab twice to get a
        completion list. Use page-up & down to move around the list as normal.

        I would be interested in getting any feedback on features which you think
        could be removed and ones which have been remove which you think are
        required.

        New and much better version coming very soon,

      • Kludszuweit Dr, Arne (A.)

          >We have taken it off line while we sort out some
          >further issues. However it is still accessible
          >from:
          >
          > http://www.jasspa.com/hindex.html
          >
          >Regards
          >Jon.
          >
          >"Kludszuweit Dr, Arne (A.)" wrote:
          >>
          >> I can't find the version of nanoEmacs ...
          >>
          >> Arne

          An interesting idea for small systems etc.

          you can even further nanosize ne with upx:

          http://upx.sourceforge.net/

          I reduced ne32.exe from 212,992 byte to 106,496 byte using this

          compressor thereafter renaming it picoEmacs ...

          regards,

          Detlef
          --
          Dr. Detlef Groth
          Max-Planck-Institut
          fuer Molekulare Genetik
          Ihnestr. 63/73
          D-14195 Berlin
          Tel.: + 49 30 - 8413 1235
          Email: dgroth@...
          Email: dgroth@...

          modify your account settings manually.

        • Bruno Sabin
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 17, 2002
            Hello Steven,

            UNIX is really where I would tremendously benefit from nE ... any
            source code on the horizon? (you know all the platforms I need 8-D

            Also, even though I would use microEmacs for everyday editing, I was
            wondering what would the overhead be if we added some sort of
            language hook support (crude support could go in the ne.emf if need
            be)? (I'm lost without my Perl hook ... grown used to it a bit too
            much I guess).

            Then again it would mean increasing the size/complexity of a tool
            which advantage relies in its extreme simplicity. Just a shot in the
            dark.

            Also, ipipe support is hard to forget when you've been using ME for
            a while (grep is what made me realise its absence). Again, I can
            still get a shell using ^X-C

            nuff raving! I need it, I love it, gimme more (UNIX)

            --
            Kind regards,

            Bruno

            Bruno Sabin Parametric Technology Corp.
            Phone: +1 (858) 535 3010 Suite 310, 5850 Oberlin Drive
            Fax: +1 (858) 535 3002 San Diego, CA.92121

            Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
            -Berthold Auerbach, German Writer (1812-1882)

            mailto:bsabin@...