Re: [jasspa] news: nanoEmacs

  • dgroth@gmx.de
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 16, 2002

      >We have taken it off line while we sort out some
      >further issues. However it is still accessible
      >from:
      >
      > http://www.jasspa.com/hindex.html
      >
      >Regards
      >Jon.
      >
      >"Kludszuweit Dr, Arne (A.)" wrote:
      >>
      >> I can't find the version of nanoEmacs ...
      >>
      >> Arne

      An interesting idea for small systems etc.

      you can even further nanosize ne with upx:

      http://upx.sourceforge.net/

      I reduced ne32.exe from 212,992 byte to 106,496 byte using this

      compressor thereafter renaming it picoEmacs ...

      regards,

      Detlef
      --
      Dr. Detlef Groth
      Max-Planck-Institut
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 16, 2002

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 17, 2002
          Both global-bind-key & query-replace-string should be available so I'm not
          sure why the line below does not work - it does for me (groan!). The first
          cut had a few teething problems and I assume this is one of them.

          To get a list of commands use the command completion on the ml line, i.e.
          execute execute-named-command (esc x) and then press tab twice to get a
          completion list. Use page-up & down to move around the list as normal.

          I would be interested in getting any feedback on features which you think
          could be removed and ones which have been remove which you think are
          required.

          New and much better version coming very soon,

        • Kludszuweit Dr, Arne (A.)

            >We have taken it off line while we sort out some
            >further issues. However it is still accessible
            >from:
            >
            > http://www.jasspa.com/hindex.html
            >
            >Regards
            >Jon.
            >
            >"Kludszuweit Dr, Arne (A.)" wrote:
            >>
            >> I can't find the version of nanoEmacs ...
            >>
            >> Arne

            An interesting idea for small systems etc.

            you can even further nanosize ne with upx:

            http://upx.sourceforge.net/

            I reduced ne32.exe from 212,992 byte to 106,496 byte using this

            compressor thereafter renaming it picoEmacs ...

            regards,

            Detlef
            --
            Dr. Detlef Groth
            Max-Planck-Institut
            fuer Molekulare Genetik
            Ihnestr. 63/73
            D-14195 Berlin
            Tel.: + 49 30 - 8413 1235
            Email: dgroth@...
            Email: dgroth@...

            modify your account settings manually.

          • Bruno Sabin
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 17, 2002
              Hello Steven,

              UNIX is really where I would tremendously benefit from nE ... any
              source code on the horizon? (you know all the platforms I need 8-D

              Also, even though I would use microEmacs for everyday editing, I was
              wondering what would the overhead be if we added some sort of
              language hook support (crude support could go in the ne.emf if need
              be)? (I'm lost without my Perl hook ... grown used to it a bit too
              much I guess).

              Then again it would mean increasing the size/complexity of a tool
              which advantage relies in its extreme simplicity. Just a shot in the
              dark.

              Also, ipipe support is hard to forget when you've been using ME for
              a while (grep is what made me realise its absence). Again, I can
              still get a shell using ^X-C

              nuff raving! I need it, I love it, gimme more (UNIX)

              --
              Kind regards,

              Bruno

              Bruno Sabin Parametric Technology Corp.
              Phone: +1 (858) 535 3010 Suite 310, 5850 Oberlin Drive
              Fax: +1 (858) 535 3002 San Diego, CA.92121

              Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
              -Berthold Auerbach, German Writer (1812-1882)

              mailto:bsabin@...