news: nanoEmacs

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 12, 2002
      JASSPA have been experimenting with a cut down
      version of our MicroEmacs distribution which
      we are calling nanoEmacs. This has minimal
      functionality.

      An alpha version of a Microsoft Windows
      executable is now available on the JASSPA
      site (bottom of main page) for trial download.
      The trial version includes both window and
      console support - although we are not sure
      if the window support is necessary.
      Some of the default start up states
      still need to be finalised in order
      get a reasonable non-configured
      environment.

      We have posted this at a very early stage
      to canvas any constructive comments.

    • Kludszuweit Dr, Arne (A.)
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 14, 2002
        I can't find the version of nanoEmacs ...

        Arne

        JASSPA have been experimenting with a cut down
        version of our MicroEmacs distribution which
        we are calling nanoEmacs. This has minimal
        functionality.

        An alpha version of a Microsoft Windows
        executable is now available on the JASSPA
        site (bottom of main page) for trial download.
        The trial version includes both window and
        console support - although we are not sure
        if the window support is necessary.
        Some of the default start up states
        still need to be finalised in order
        get a reasonable non-configured
        environment.

        We have posted this at a very early stage
        to canvas any constructive comments.

        modify your account settings manually.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 15, 2002
          We have taken it off line while we sort out some
          further issues. However it is still accessible
          from:

          http://www.jasspa.com/hindex.html

        • dgroth@gmx.de
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 16, 2002

            >We have taken it off line while we sort out some
            >further issues. However it is still accessible
            >from:
            >
            > http://www.jasspa.com/hindex.html
            >
            >Regards
            >Jon.
            >
            >"Kludszuweit Dr, Arne (A.)" wrote:
            >>
            >> I can't find the version of nanoEmacs ...
            >>
            >> Arne

            An interesting idea for small systems etc.

            you can even further nanosize ne with upx:

            http://upx.sourceforge.net/

            I reduced ne32.exe from 212,992 byte to 106,496 byte using this

            compressor thereafter renaming it picoEmacs ...

            regards,

            Detlef
            --
            Dr. Detlef Groth
            Max-Planck-Institut
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 16, 2002

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 17, 2002
                Both global-bind-key & query-replace-string should be available so I'm not
                sure why the line below does not work - it does for me (groan!). The first
                cut had a few teething problems and I assume this is one of them.

                To get a list of commands use the command completion on the ml line, i.e.
                execute execute-named-command (esc x) and then press tab twice to get a
                completion list. Use page-up & down to move around the list as normal.

                I would be interested in getting any feedback on features which you think
                could be removed and ones which have been remove which you think are
                required.

                New and much better version coming very soon,

              • Kludszuweit Dr, Arne (A.)

                  >We have taken it off line while we sort out some
                  >further issues. However it is still accessible
                  >from:
                  >
                  > http://www.jasspa.com/hindex.html
                  >
                  >Regards
                  >Jon.
                  >
                  >"Kludszuweit Dr, Arne (A.)" wrote:
                  >>
                  >> I can't find the version of nanoEmacs ...
                  >>
                  >> Arne

                  An interesting idea for small systems etc.

                  you can even further nanosize ne with upx:

                  http://upx.sourceforge.net/

                  I reduced ne32.exe from 212,992 byte to 106,496 byte using this

                  compressor thereafter renaming it picoEmacs ...

                  regards,

                  Detlef
                  --
                  Dr. Detlef Groth
                  Max-Planck-Institut
                  fuer Molekulare Genetik
                  Ihnestr. 63/73
                  D-14195 Berlin
                  Tel.: + 49 30 - 8413 1235
                  Email: dgroth@...
                  Email: dgroth@...

                  modify your account settings manually.

                • Bruno Sabin
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 17, 2002
                    Hello Steven,

                    UNIX is really where I would tremendously benefit from nE ... any
                    source code on the horizon? (you know all the platforms I need 8-D

                    Also, even though I would use microEmacs for everyday editing, I was
                    wondering what would the overhead be if we added some sort of
                    language hook support (crude support could go in the ne.emf if need
                    be)? (I'm lost without my Perl hook ... grown used to it a bit too
                    much I guess).

                    Then again it would mean increasing the size/complexity of a tool
                    which advantage relies in its extreme simplicity. Just a shot in the
                    dark.

                    Also, ipipe support is hard to forget when you've been using ME for
                    a while (grep is what made me realise its absence). Again, I can
                    still get a shell using ^X-C

                    nuff raving! I need it, I love it, gimme more (UNIX)

                    --
                    Kind regards,

                    Bruno

                    Bruno Sabin Parametric Technology Corp.
                    Phone: +1 (858) 535 3010 Suite 310, 5850 Oberlin Drive
                    Fax: +1 (858) 535 3002 San Diego, CA.92121

                    Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
                    -Berthold Auerbach, German Writer (1812-1882)

                    mailto:bsabin@...