Piping into ME (but not out)

  • thundt
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 8, 2002
      Does anybody else think it would be useful to be able to do:

      ls -l | me32 -p

      I tried it, expecting a *stdin* buffer to come up... but it seems this
      mode locks it into also piping the output somewhere (a file called
      "stdout"?) to do batch processing on the input. I can see how that
      would certainly be useful (as mentioned in the help files).

      -Tom Hundt
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 8, 2002
        There's a bit of a gotcha here with UNIX terminals, the command-line uses
        ME's stdin to pump in data and ME uses stdin to get commands from the user
        so the user cannot type any commands at it! So when I implemented this (on a
        termcap system) its use was perceived to be always as a sed like tool, i.e.

        cat <file> | sed ... | me32 -p @my_commands | awk ... | ....

        etc. but getting this working is a bit of a pig because there is no
        interaction so working out why it does not work is tricky.

        However as neither me32 (window mode) nor me (xterm mode) use stdin, I could
        change this so that these version open the window as normal and give the
        user access to the *stdin* buffer (if this buffer is save the output goes to
        stdout). A version with both a console and window capability would have to
        use the -n option to specify the mode.

        This would also help in debugging "my_commands.emf"