Meta-^q removes spaces after periods

  • Bob Paddock
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2002
      When I use Meta-^q to reformat paragraphs it has the annoying habit of
      removing the double spaces that follow periods.

      For reasons that only God probably knows periods are to have TWO spaces
      following them in a sentence that is part of a paragraph. Ask any English
      Teacher...

      Is there a way to get this English Teacher behavior?
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2002
        You might find the settings below (from my "company" .emf file) of interest. I currently have it set for one space after sentence end, because if you set it for two, AND set right paren as a sentence-ending character, it puts two spaces after EVERY right paren, (like this in the middle of a sentence) which is really annoying. (This is a freestanding parenthetical remark where you'd want it to put two spaces after.) Fill-paragraph is currently not smart enough to differentiate (but I wish it was).

        ; Paragraph filling (formatting), see fill-paragraph
        set-variable $dot-space 1 ; # spaces after eos char during fill-para.
        set-variable $fill-col 65 ; fill-column
        set-variable $fill-mode "l" ; left-justify & fill
        set-variable $fill-eos ".?!)]" ; sentence-ending chars
        set-variable $fill-eos-len 1 ; # spaces after $fill-eos chars
        set-variable $fill-ignore ">|_@#" ; don't fill par start w/ these
        set-variable $fill-bullet "*)].-+"
        set-variable $fill-bullet-len 5 ; how far to look for "bullet"

        Note that some people say the use of two spaces between sentences is deprecated since word processors will do it for you:
        http://www.theslot.com/site.html.

        Not that I don't like 'em myself (old habit?). As in the text above.

        You can argue about this all day, for example:
        http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=258874+0+archive/1999/freebsd-doc/19991010.freebsd-doc

        English teachers aren't always right, you know.

        -Th

        Thomas Hundt <thundt@...> +1-415-643-3595