eaf files

  • Rodolfo Valeiras Reina
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 20, 2001
      Hello

      The description of the eaf files in the documentation of ME 01 include
      obsolete \ tokens. For example, \n is changed by \r (I think). Maybe I can
      find updated documentation?

      Regards,

      Rodolfo Valeiras
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 20, 2001
        Yes you are correct. To be honest I'm not quite sure
        why it was changed - there must have been a good reason ?
        We will fix the documentation.

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 20, 2001
          Attached is the corrected document in text form.
          If you look at the help page for "buffer-abbrev-file(2)
          then it explains why this is "\r" not "\n".

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2002
            Both \n & \r are still valid, but this does uncover a can of worms, \n is
            the carriage return and \r is the line feed i.e. chars 0x0a & 0x0d
            respectively. The dichotomy here is that the typical new-line char in a file
            is \n (0x0a as per UNIX) but the Enter key is more like a \r (0x0d as per a
            basic termcap environment), this causes a lot of problems!

            But this issue is thankfully simpler, the abbrev string is executed (i.e.
            like a keyboard macro) so each character must either be bound or inserted
            (if possible) the \r 'key' (C-m) is bound to the command newline which will
            perform the auto-indentation checks etc, whereas \n (C-j) is not bound.
            Hence \r is used!

            Horrid I know but consistent,