[jasspa] how to set modes of *scratch*

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 25, 1999
      I'm trying to get Emacs, when it is started w/o a filename parameter, to come up with the *scratch* buffer in wrap mode. (This is because nine times out of ten, when I just start it "empty", I'll next be pasting in some text copied from a browser or e-mail program, which I'd like to have in wrap mode for editing.)

      So, I added this code to thundt.emf, my startup file:

      ;-----
      ; Setups for buffer *scratch*
      ;-----
      !if &seq "*scratch*" $buffer-bname
      ml-write "[foo]"
      39 buffer-mode ; also tried 1 buffer-mode "wrap" which didn't work, either
      !endif

      This does, indeed, display "[foo]" when I run the program. But, wrap mode is not engaged. Using a global-mode will set the buffer mode, but it also sets it for C programs -- not a useful thing.

      What's the next place I should look?

      Thank you,

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 25, 1999
        Thomas,

        Try this; this should do what you want *AND* whenever you
        kill off the *scratch* buffer it will come back with the
        document modes enabled.

        Place it in your <user>.emf

        ;
        ; Bind the document template to the scratch buffer when it's loaded.
        ; Because the *scratch* buffer is created first thing then delete it.
        ; We do this by renaming it, adding our document binding and then deleting
        ; the scratch buffer under it's new name. We know MicroEmacs will create us
        ; a new scratch when nothing else is in the system so it will come back with
        ; the document attributes assigned.
        ; Horrible, but true !!
        add-file-hook "*scratch*" fhook-doc
        !if &seq $buffer-bname "*scratch*"
        change-buffer-name "*foo*"
        1 delete-buffer "*foo*"
        !endif

        Jon Green - jon@...
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 27, 1999
          |add-file-hook "*scratch*" fhook-doc
          |!if &seq $buffer-bname "*scratch*"
          | change-buffer-name "*foo*"
          | 1 delete-buffer "*foo*"
          |!endif
          |>
          |> I'm trying to get Emacs, when it is started w/o a filename parameter, to come up with the *scratch* buffer in wrap mode. (This is because nine times out of ten,

          Neato! Works great! File-hook; yet another slick little trick.