[jasspa] Re: Crypto mode?

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 24 1:44 PM
      Thomas Hundt wrote:

      > Does crypto mode work? The manpage says one can use Esc-e to do 'set-encryption-key' (which is not true, but maybe I unbound it). It also says one can use '-k' to set the password from the command line.

      I think you must have unbound it. Try doing "M-x describe-bindings"
      this should tell you what is currently bound. M-e is definately bound
      as expected here .

      > The '-k' command-line option yields a complaint when I run the command-line version of me.exe (this is under NT4); using this option with the gui version (me32.exe) doesn't give me anything at all -- it won't even launch the program. (Then again, neither does '-h'.) Now that's what I call cryptic!

      The win32 gui version will not produce anything on stdout because there is no
      concept of
      stdout (sigh *if* only this was UNIX !), where as your X-Windows version would.
      In theory you should get an error message.

      Now where did you get the option -k <key> from ?? The JASSPA distributuion does
      not have one of these, you must have seen this on the other leading brand
      version
      of MicroEmacs. This is obviously a post MicroEmacs 3.8 option !! But wait, I've
      found
      a reference to it in the "set-encryption-key" help. Oops look like this has
      got lost from the command line !! So no support for that one then - do
      you need this fixed or can we delete the -k from the documentation !!
      I'm not sure what -k <key> would do on the command line. I assume that
      it sets the default key for the command line files ??

      Note that when you do "M-x find-cfile" to load an encrypted file it prompts
      for the password. The encryption key is stored on a per-buffer basis so
      you have to specify what it is for each file. There is no concept of a
      global key that is applicable to all encrypted files.

      Having never worked with encrypted files, would it be better to include
      a magic string in the header of the encrypted file to tell ME that this
      is an encrypted file. Then it could automatically turn on encrypted mode
      and prompt for the password when the file is loaded. This should not breach
      security provided that the magic string is not encrypted ??

      > Motivation: I use the Other Leading Brand of MicroEmacs (namely Micro EMACS 4.00 from Daniel Lawrence, who seems to have gone out of the MicroEmacs business) to maintain files containing sensitive info like credit card numbers and names of ex-girlfriends... I was thinking of switching that over to me32 now that I've used it for a while and believe it to be stable. (And, I have to say, it's a much more advanced package.) This is the only thing I still use the old ME for, and sooner or later I'm going to run into the 64k limitation on file size (after which, the old one starts to do unfriendly things).
      >
      > (No, I do not have 64k of ex-girlfriends. I keep notes in the file every time I deal with a credit card company, bank, ISP, etc., and that's what keeps growing.)
      >
      > Hints, advice? What silly thing am I doing wrong, this time?

      Would appriciate it if you could first set your encryption key
      and try reading one of your encrypted files. The algorthm should
      decode it and read it in. Also if you can confim the write back
      from Jasspa and read from the other leading brand of MicroEmacs.
      This has been tested (a very long time ago), but I cannot recall
      anybody using it with vengence. The algorithms should be the same.
      We swapped to the newer uE algorithm about 12-18 months ago for
      compatibility.

      I suggest backing up your old file first - just in case anything
      untoward happens !!

      > Thank you,

      Jon Green - jon@...
    • Steven Phillips,,,
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 25 2:15 AM
        Its 'Shoot me' time again. I ripped out the -k option firstly because it was
        unclear in its use (does it apply to the first file, the next file or all
        files given on the command-line etc) and secondly due to shell history lists
        this would be a severe security problem.

        I use the crypt mode myself and always use the find-cfile command to load
        existing crypted files. To make an uncrypted file crypted simply add the crypt
        mode and you will be prompted for the key at save time.

        Note that crypt files are incompatible between ME and MicroEMACS (JASSPA's is
        more secure).

        Steve