Crypto mode -- added .cry file type -- very handy

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2001
      I've added a ".cry" file type to my Windows boxes, to hold encrypted text data conveniently. Double-clicking such a file brings up ME in crypto mode, prompting for a password. Very, very handy. I've been doing this for some time now, and it's been working great for me. (Big thanks to Jon, Stephen, & Co for making crypto mode work "properly".)

      How to set it up:

      In Explorer, Tools>File Types, add a new type "Crypto file" associated with the extension ".cry".
      To this, add an action "open" whose application is "c:\app\jasspa\me32.exe -k". (Your path will vary.)

      Icon: I've set the icon to a white "e" on red triangle, in file meicons.exe. (Your icon choice will vary. Probably a padlock on a notepad would be a nice icon. There's a padlock in C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CRYPTUI.DLL.)

      To create a new, empty file, in Explorer, I just use "File>New>Text Document" and just type the name with a .cry extension (e.g., foo.cry). To edit such a file, I simply double-click on it, which brings up MicroEmacs with a prompt for the password. If I type in the correct password, the file comes up properly for editing.

      CAUTION: If you type the WRONG password, and get gibberish, don't type anything and just EXIT IMMEDIATELY. If you save any changes while the file is open with the wrong password, you will LOSE your file data from the point from the change onward. (Typically this is the first character in the file, so you lose the entire file!)

      Another minor caution is that the password is displayed in cleartext while you are typing it in -- so you might not want to do so while somebody is looking over your shoulder. :-)

      Crypto files seem to be interchangeable between Windows and Unix, as usual. No issues there. :-)

      Thomas Hundt <thundt@...> +1-415-643-3595