[jasspa] Fill mode and $dot-space

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 24, 1999
      Is the $dot-space variable implemented? I can't find it. This is supposed to set the number of spaces left after a period, in a sentence. (Which I want to be 2.) Note that it is describe on the manpage for fill-paragraph.

      This is actually not so simple: It should do ! and ?, and maybe closing quotes as well, and not be confused when someone puts 1. and 2. and abbreviations like Mr. in the middle of a sentence. (Brits usage is smarter: no periods after abbrevs like in "Mr Clinton".)

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 24, 1999
        Thomas Hundt wrote:

        > Is the $dot-space variable implemented? I can't find it. This is supposed to set the number of spaces left after a period, in a sentence. (Which I want to be 2.) Note that it is describe on the manpage for fill-paragraph.

        Hmm. Looks like you've found a hole in the documentation.

        $fill-eos - A list of characters for the end-of-sentence. Default setting
        ".?!"
        $fill-eos-len - The number of spaces following $fill-eos this is equivelent to
        $dot-space.

        > This is actually not so simple: It should do ! and ?, and maybe closing quotes as well, and not be confused when someone puts 1. and 2. and abbreviations like Mr. in the middle of a sentence. (Brits usage is smarter: no periods after abbrevs like in "Mr Clinton".)

        As for the examples above - assume that it is a dumb fill with no
        exceptions !! However you can change $fill-eos and add the
        aforementioned closing quote.

        Jon Green - jon@...
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 25, 1999
          Once again, you guys are way ahead of me. This is great. BTW, I set $fill-eos to ".?!)]" so it handles cases like (this). [And this.] Lovely.

          -Th