flashing brackets, parenthesis, etc

  • psventek@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 25, 2001
      Does ME have flashing bracket pair capability similar to GNU Emacs
      where when you pass your cursor over a left or right bracket in a
      peice of code the cursor will temporarily flash ahead or backward to
      the corresponding closing or opening bracket pair?
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 23, 2001
        --- In jasspa@y..., psventek@h... wrote:
        > Does ME have flashing bracket pair capability similar to GNU Emacs
        > where when you pass your cursor over a left or right bracket in a
        > peice of code the cursor will temporarily flash ahead or backward to
        > the corresponding closing or opening bracket pair?

        Not when you crawl over it with the cursor... but it will jump to the
        matching fence for an instant:
        a) when you type a closing fence, and
        b) when you use function "goto-matching-fence" (on mine this is bound
        to F2 and esc ctrl f and esc ctrl i).

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 23, 2001
          What strange timing, I was just about to respond to this myself...

          For the last month I've not being ignoring this but trying to work out how
          to implement it, the bracket hilighting is very useful. I have now managed
          to using the idle-pick event but I've needed to improve some of the screen
          commands (show-region & screen-update) so I will need to create an ME update
          before you can run it.

          The latest version has a new reduced binary mode (rbin), improved
          binary,crypt,rbin mode command interface and a new language support
          implementation which should help in introducing new languages and in getting
          people up and running, and at last I've managed to find and fix what I think
          is the last mouse driver lock-up bug. So I still have some docs to correct
          and testing to be done!

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 25, 2001
            Thomas:

            > b) when you use function "goto-matching-fence" (on mine this is
            > bound to F2 and esc ctrl f and esc ctrl i).

            I wasn't aware of this command, thanks.
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 9, 2001
              BTW it seems to me there is a bug surrounding this:

              a) $fmatchdelay is calibrated in ms, not seconds as stated in its
              help. (This is consistent with other delay variables.)

              b) fence matching is always active, regardless of setting of CMODE

              This is kind of annoying when typing things like smilies in text
              files. :-)

              -Th

              ____

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 11, 2001

                Thanks for spotting this, I'll fix the docs.

                > b) fence matching is always active, regardless of setting of CMODE
                >
                > This is kind of annoying when typing things like smilies in text
                > files. :-)

                This is a tricky one, think of the poor programmer who is still using lisp,
                the lisp support does not use cmode but if I switched of fence matching life
                would become a lot more difficult. This evidently needs to be a setting on a
                per buffer type basis (i.e. an option in buffer-setup), a new buffer mode
                would fit the bill the best I think.