[jasspa] prefix5

  • Detlef Groth
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13, 1999
      Hello MicroEmacs users,

      I would like to use a fifth prefix-shortcut like:
      But ME shows me an error message for the prefix5 line.

      global-bind-key prefix5 "C-1"
      global-bind-key "yank" "C-1 v"
      global-bind-key "kill-region" "C-1 x"
      global-bind-key "copy-region" "C-1 c"

      Any suggestions ?

      Detlef groth

      any material posted to this list.
    • Jonathan Naughton-Green
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 14, 1999
        Detlef,

        There is no "prefix5" which is why it is not working. I have prototyped
        additional prefixes which appears to work with mininal changes - so this
        should be possible soon.

        You could try the "A-C" bindings as follows:-

        global-bind-key "yank" "A-C-v"
        global-bind-key "kill-region" "A-C-x"
        global-bind-key "copy-region" "A-C-c"

        These keystokes might be a little more fluid than "C-1" as the
        Ctrl-Alt keys are very close together (or use "Alt-Gr"). Could
        give this a go ???

        Detlef Groth wrote:

        > Hello MicroEmacs users,
        >
        > I would like to use a fifth prefix-shortcut like:
        > But ME shows me an error message for the prefix5 line.
        >
        > global-bind-key prefix5 "C-1"
        > global-bind-key "yank" "C-1 v"
        > global-bind-key "kill-region" "C-1 x"
        > global-bind-key "copy-region" "C-1 c"
        >
        > Any suggestions ?
        >
        > Detlef groth

        ASIDE
        -----
        As an aside your "prefix" binding left me with some worrying
        thoughts. Consider the current definition of "prefix4" defined
        in me.emf

        global-bind-key prefix4 "C-c"

        Now lets say for instance that the user wanted to change "C-c" for
        something else. i.e. "C-1". This would then cause problems as the
        macro definitions always define their keystrokes in terms of the
        raw characters, for example the next line in "me.emf" binds grep

        global-bind-key grep "C-c g"

        This has just used "prefix4", however it has not specified the
        key binding in terms of "prefix4". Now if you try to re-bind
        "prefix4" then in this partular instance "grep" will be bound
        to "C-1 g". (Because the binding has already been installed
        against the original prefix key). However there are alot of
        macro files (i.e. hkXXXX.emf) which get loaded late i.e. after
        the user.emf has been loaded. These might make reference to
        "C-c" commands i.e. in hkc.emf we have:-

        buffer-bind-key c-comment-line "C-c C-c"

        If we have already have changed the "prefix4" binding then
        we will expect "C-c C-c" to be bound to our new prefix
        "C-1 C-c" - which is not the case. Ideally this macro binding
        should be expressed in terms of it's prefix rather than
        the literal value of the 'expected' prefix. i.e.

        buffer-bind-key c-comment-line "prefix4 C-c"

        This would then make the macro definitions more resilent
        to 'unexpected' binding changes. This does have some
        unpleasent side effects as some of the keys appear in the
        OSD help pages i.e. on the help page then we have

        osd .osd.c-help 7 "" " C-c C-c - Comment out current line"

        This would no longer apply, writing:-

        osd .osd.c-help 7 "" " prefix4 C-c - Comment out current line"

        is deeply unpleasent. The only thing that you could do
        is ask for a return on the key bindinging for prefix4
        (which is not currently available). Lets assume we
        introduced a &kstroke macro that would return the literal
        key stroke (this is the opposite of &kbind), but with an
        expanded prefix, we could then re-write the OSD as:-

        osd .osd.c-help 7 "" &spr " %s - Comment out current line" &kstroke c-comment-line

        This would then get around the problem.

        This is probably further than I wanted to go with this - but
        does hilight a current problem. - The question is "Is it really
        worth sorting out ??"

        Jon Green J.D.Naughton-Green

        SAMSUNG Electronics Ltd

        any material posted to this list.