obscure MEPATH

  • dgroth@gmx.de
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8, 2001
      Hello,

      Jon and Steven, thanks a lot for the new release of the incredible
      editor....

      Hoewever I had some trouble setting the MEPATH on win2000 up
      the following output of the macro:

      define-macro insert-mepath
      execute-string
      $MEPATH
      !emacro

      is:
      E:/Programme/JASSPA/MicroEmacs/dgroth/dgroth;E:/Programme/JASSPA/MicroEmacs/company;E:/Programme/JASSPA/MicroEmacs/spelling;;

      but this does not goes conform what I see in Help->User Setup->Start-Up
      there is simple:

      E:/Programme/JASSPA/MicroEmacs/macros

      and dgroth.emf is put in this directory. So my stuff I put into the
      dgroth/dgroth-directory and the dgroth.emf in the macro directory
      is simple:
      ; My own setup
      ;
      ; Last Modified : <010808.1116>
      ;

      execute-file "dgroth99.emf" ; my old ME-setupfile

      Something obscure bit I am ready to go ...

      This kind of configuration certainly confuses new users.

      Any suggestions ?

      regards,

      Detlef

      --
      Dr.Detlef Groth
      Neue Scheune 5

      Aufgepasst - jetzt viele 1&1 New WebHosting Pakete ohne
      Einrichtungsgebuehr + 1 Monat Grundgebuehrbefreiung!
      http://puretec.de/index.html?ac=OM.PU.PU003K00736T0492a
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 8, 2001
        Detlef,

        OK, this is how it works for Windows - this is a little bit different from
        UNIX because we interact with the me32.ini file. Inside the
        c:/windows(Winnt)/me32.ini you will find two paths as follows (with
        different directories):-

        mepath=c:\me\samsung;c:\me\macros;c:\me\spelling;
        userpath=c:\me

        "mepath" is the base path on which all COMMON directories are placed, so I
        basically have company, macros, spelling searched in that order.

        The "userpath" is a seed, this is concatenated with the user's login name,
        so my login name is "jon", my "userpath" is "c:\me", hence the resultant
        userpath will be "c:\me\jon". This "userpath" does not really exist in the
        system and is used to personalise the "mepath", so the resultant "mepath"
        now becomes:-

        mepath=c:\me\jon;c:\me\samsung;c:\me\macros;c:\me\spelling;

        The "Setup Path" in the dialogue is the first path off the MEPATH and is
        used for user configuration, this allows config files in a different
        directory to be maintained - this is more for administration purposes.

        As for what you are seeing:-

        I do not know why the macros directory is not set up ??

        At a guess I would say that your userpath is set incorrectly, guess
        it is set to:-

        userpath=E:/Programme/JASSPA/MicroEmacs/dgroth

        Would expect it to be set to:-

        userpath=E:/Programme/JASSPA/MicroEmacs

        and your login name is "dgroth"

        If your login name is different, i.e. mine is "jnaught" and all my config
        files are "jon" then the me32.ini file is defined as follows:-

        [jnaught]
        mename=jon
        ME_ISHELL=c:\command.com
        infopath=c:\emacs-20.3.1\info
        msdevEnableEmacs=0
        msdevAutoClose=0

        Note that you can override the login name using "mename", so setting this
        to "jon" modifies this for me.

        So for yourself I would expect your me32.ini file to read as follows:-

        ; Identify the location of the MicroEmacs executable so that the
        ; Developer Studio "Add-In" can locate the executable
        [Location]
        exe=e:\Programme\JASSPA\MicroEmacs\me32.exe
        [Defaults]
        mepath=e:/Programme/JASSPA/MicroEmacs/company;e:/Programme/JASSPA/MicroEmacs/macros;e:/Programme/JASSPA/MicroEmacs/spelling
        userpath=e:/Programme/JASSPA/MicroEmacs
        [dgroth]
        ; Your special environment variables if you need any, otherwise omit.

        Your directory structure will be

        e:\
        + Programme
        + JASSPA
        + MicroEmacs
        me32.exe
        + Macros
        <Macro files>
        + Spelling
        <Spelling files>
        + Company
        <Your company files>
        + dgroth
        <Your private config files>

        Hope this makes some sense !!

        Regards
        Jon

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 8, 2001
          To help in the debugging of this, use the list-variables command and look at
          the value of $search-path, this is the search order ME will use to find
          files, when looking for dgroth.emf, the first one it finds in this list of
          paths is the one it uses irrespective of the user-setup Setup Path!

          As Jon said, this path aimed at admin people who can use this to set where
          the files generated by user-setup can be written, it does not determine
          where files are loaded from when you start up ME next time.

        • dgroth@gmx.de
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 8, 2001
            Hmm,

            Thanks for the suggestions,
            I remember, that I need hours to setup my last me-installation on a
            NT4-machine editing the me32.ini, deleting it, writing batch files ...

            I will now simple live with the quite comfortable:

            "E:/Programme/JASSPA/MicroEmacs/dgroth/dgroth;E:/Programme/JASSPA/MicroEmacs/company;E:/Programme/JASSPA/MicroEmacs/spelling;E:/Programme/JASSPA/MicroEmacs/macros;;"

            and adjust my emf-file-putting instead of trying again to manipulate ME to
            use my ideas where these files should be located. The problem is also that
            this OS (win2000) has it's own ideas where to put my personal stuff .....
            (One try to edit the me32.ini were failing ...)
            we have to be flexibly ...

            will see tomorrow what is with my linux-machine ...

            regards, Detlef