Re: [jasspa] What's in it for Jasspa?

  • Martin_Doering@mn.man.de
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2001
      >What IS in it for Jasspa giving their flavor of Microemacs for free? I
      >wouldn't mind if it were shareware and required a registration fee.
      >From what I've seen, it's a pretty darn faithful GNU Emacs clone
      >without all the really unnecessary embellishments GNU's version has.

      I'd say at least the license of the original me 3.8 code...

      Martin Döring

      C: The language that combines the power of assembly language with the
      flexibility of assembly language.
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2001
        psventek@... wrote:

        > What IS in it for Jasspa giving their flavor of Microemacs for free? I
        > wouldn't mind if it were shareware and required a registration fee.
        > >From what I've seen, it's a pretty darn faithful GNU Emacs clone
        > without all the really unnecessary embellishments GNU's version has.

        We are bound by the original MicroEmacs license so we have to
        offer it on the same terms as the original.

        As for what is in it for us ... to be honest - absolutely nothing -
        apart from a lot of work and lots of grief when things do not work.
        So why do we do it ?? It was simply a case that in using the editor
        on a daily basis we tailored it more to our usage requirememnts -
        features were added to make our work easier. After 8 years of
        modification we just figured that other people might want to use
        it as well and made it accessible in the public domain.

        Simple really.
        Jon.
      • psventek@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2001
          Jon,

          > After 8 years of
          > modification we just figured that other people might want to use
          > it as well and made it accessible in the public domain.

          Well I certainly tip my hat to you guys then. If folks _have_ to do
          manual file editing, emacs is the way to go if only you can get people
          past the initial learning curve. It's great to have such a tool on my
          PCs.