What's in it for Jasspa?

  • psventek@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
      What IS in it for Jasspa giving their flavor of Microemacs for free? I
      wouldn't mind if it were shareware and required a registration fee.
      From what I've seen, it's a pretty darn faithful GNU Emacs clone
      without all the really unnecessary embellishments GNU's version has.
    • Martin_Doering@mn.man.de
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2001
        >What IS in it for Jasspa giving their flavor of Microemacs for free? I
        >wouldn't mind if it were shareware and required a registration fee.
        >From what I've seen, it's a pretty darn faithful GNU Emacs clone
        >without all the really unnecessary embellishments GNU's version has.

        I'd say at least the license of the original me 3.8 code...

        Martin Döring

        C: The language that combines the power of assembly language with the
        flexibility of assembly language.
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2001
          psventek@... wrote:

          > What IS in it for Jasspa giving their flavor of Microemacs for free? I
          > wouldn't mind if it were shareware and required a registration fee.
          > >From what I've seen, it's a pretty darn faithful GNU Emacs clone
          > without all the really unnecessary embellishments GNU's version has.

          We are bound by the original MicroEmacs license so we have to
          offer it on the same terms as the original.

          As for what is in it for us ... to be honest - absolutely nothing -
          apart from a lot of work and lots of grief when things do not work.
          So why do we do it ?? It was simply a case that in using the editor
          on a daily basis we tailored it more to our usage requirememnts -
          features were added to make our work easier. After 8 years of
          modification we just figured that other people might want to use
          it as well and made it accessible in the public domain.

          Simple really.
          Jon.
        • psventek@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2, 2001
            Jon,

            > After 8 years of
            > modification we just figured that other people might want to use
            > it as well and made it accessible in the public domain.

            Well I certainly tip my hat to you guys then. If folks _have_ to do
            manual file editing, emacs is the way to go if only you can get people
            past the initial learning curve. It's great to have such a tool on my
            PCs.