Re: [jasspa] simple microemacs questions

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
      You can, I've got an install-shield installation on
      my machine hence my command line is:-

      C:\>"c:\program files\jasspa\microemacs\me32.exe" autoexec.bat

      and it loads up the autoexec.bat file.

      Under Windows I would suggest the following:-

      a) Icon launch uses the -c option i.e. the
      "Target" in the properties box is set to

      "C:\Program Files\JASSPA\MicroEmacs\me32.exe" -c

      This will cause the last session to be loaded.

      b) You need define your user setup - this is much better
      than the "guest" login. This is described in the
      help "Setting up the user profile". By the sounds
      of it you are already there. If you need some
      help then mail me directly.

      I've just repeated the exercise after logging in as
      "foo" - there is no configuration for this user so I'm "guest".
      The command line version above still operates correctly
      and loads the file.

      I'm not sure why you are getting the help menu if you have
      explicitly asked for a file load. Are there any error
      messages on the status line ??

      I am running the latest release + a newer patch - but
      the operation should be identical.

      Note to Steve:
      The new startup color scroll box should be a different
      colour from white because you cannot see it very well -
      action on me to finish off scroll box char).

      psventek@... wrote:

      > I come from a good many years using GNU Emacs under Solaris. It's a
      > pleasant surprise to find Jasspa's microemacs for PCs to have a pretty
      > darn close GNU Emacs feel. I'm still only a few days using it, but I
      > have some simple questions (am running it under WIN 95 and 98). Here's
      > the first one:
      >
      > 1. Why can't I open emacs with a file with any of these commads:
      >
      > emacs filename
      > emacs -o filename
      > emacs -O filename
      >
      > In all cases I keep getting the Microemacs welcome screen with all the
      > hypertext help entries.

      Jon Green J.D.Naughton-Green
      Project Manager

      SAMSUNG Electronics (UK) Ltd
      The Communication Centre
      South Street
      Staines Tel(direct): +44 (0)1784 428614
      MIDDLESEX Tel(s/w board): +44 (0)1784 428600 ext 614
      TW18 4QE Fax: +44 (0)1784 428620
      England Email (work): jon@...
      Email (home): jon@...
    • psventek@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
        Steve, Jon,

        > me32 filename
        >
        > ME should load and display filename instead. Obviously me32
        >is not the same as emacs, so what is your emacs? Is it a batch
        >file which runs me32? if so
        > are you passing it the command-line arguments, i.e.:
        >
        > me32 %1 %2 %3 %4 ...
        >
        > If not this is why.

        You know... users (like me) should never be allowed to tinker with
        customization files and batch files and the like... :) I always
        get in trouble when I do (but I do learn that way). Of course I
        have a simple batch file alias with aliases emacs to me32, and I
        don't pass any arguments, so that's the problem. Thanks. Sorry for
        such a basic question.

        Next one..

        GNU Emacs provides the "global-unset-key" command to unbind
        keybindings. Does Jasspa Microemacs have such a beast?
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
          > GNU Emacs provides the "global-unset-key" command to unbind
          > keybindings. Does Jasspa Microemacs have such a beast?

          global-unbind-key, bound to esc C-k.

          If you use the main menu's Help -> General Help dialog it has a pretty good
          search facility (searching for "global unbind" finds this straight away).

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
            Try "global-unbind-key" should do the same thing.

            See also

            Keyboard Binding Commands

            from the main help page. This has a list of all
            of the commands that are associated with the
            key bindings.

            Jon.

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
              Steve, Jon,

              > If you use the main menu's Help -> General Help dialog it has a
              >pretty good search facility (searching for "global unbind" finds this
              >straight away).

              There it is, plain as day. Last night I didn't have my GNU Emacs
              .emacs file in front of me so I was searching (guessing) for the wrong
              key binding. Tonight I won't make that mistake. Sorry guys.