RE: [jasspa] simple microemacs questions

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
      By default MicroEmacs does not know who you are so assumes you are a new
      user (or a guest user) so displays the main help page. So to begin with, if
      you type:

      me32

      You should see the main help page. But if you type:

      me32 filename

      ME should load and display filename instead. Obviously me32 is not the same
      as emacs, so what is your emacs? Is it a batch file which runs me32? if so
      are you passing it the command-line arguments, i.e.:

      me32 %1 %2 %3 %4 ...

      If not this is why.

      However you should create a user profile so you can take advantage of
      features like the history etc, on the main help page there is a link to:

      Setting Up A User Profile

      Follow the guideline in there for creating a profile.

    • psventek@hotmail.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
          You can, I've got an install-shield installation on
          my machine hence my command line is:-

          C:\>"c:\program files\jasspa\microemacs\me32.exe" autoexec.bat

          and it loads up the autoexec.bat file.

          Under Windows I would suggest the following:-

          a) Icon launch uses the -c option i.e. the
          "Target" in the properties box is set to

          "C:\Program Files\JASSPA\MicroEmacs\me32.exe" -c

          This will cause the last session to be loaded.

          b) You need define your user setup - this is much better
          than the "guest" login. This is described in the
          help "Setting up the user profile". By the sounds
          of it you are already there. If you need some
          help then mail me directly.

          I've just repeated the exercise after logging in as
          "foo" - there is no configuration for this user so I'm "guest".
          The command line version above still operates correctly
          and loads the file.

          I'm not sure why you are getting the help menu if you have
          explicitly asked for a file load. Are there any error
          messages on the status line ??

          I am running the latest release + a newer patch - but
          the operation should be identical.

          Note to Steve:
          The new startup color scroll box should be a different
          colour from white because you cannot see it very well -
          action on me to finish off scroll box char).

          psventek@... wrote:

          > I come from a good many years using GNU Emacs under Solaris. It's a
          > pleasant surprise to find Jasspa's microemacs for PCs to have a pretty
          > darn close GNU Emacs feel. I'm still only a few days using it, but I
          > have some simple questions (am running it under WIN 95 and 98). Here's
          > the first one:
          >
          > 1. Why can't I open emacs with a file with any of these commads:
          >
          > emacs filename
          > emacs -o filename
          > emacs -O filename
          >
          > In all cases I keep getting the Microemacs welcome screen with all the
          > hypertext help entries.

          Jon Green J.D.Naughton-Green
          Project Manager

          SAMSUNG Electronics (UK) Ltd
          The Communication Centre
          South Street
          Staines Tel(direct): +44 (0)1784 428614
          MIDDLESEX Tel(s/w board): +44 (0)1784 428600 ext 614
          TW18 4QE Fax: +44 (0)1784 428620
          England Email (work): jon@...
          Email (home): jon@...
        • psventek@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
            Steve, Jon,

            > me32 filename
            >
            > ME should load and display filename instead. Obviously me32
            >is not the same as emacs, so what is your emacs? Is it a batch
            >file which runs me32? if so
            > are you passing it the command-line arguments, i.e.:
            >
            > me32 %1 %2 %3 %4 ...
            >
            > If not this is why.

            You know... users (like me) should never be allowed to tinker with
            customization files and batch files and the like... :) I always
            get in trouble when I do (but I do learn that way). Of course I
            have a simple batch file alias with aliases emacs to me32, and I
            don't pass any arguments, so that's the problem. Thanks. Sorry for
            such a basic question.

            Next one..

            GNU Emacs provides the "global-unset-key" command to unbind
            keybindings. Does Jasspa Microemacs have such a beast?
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
              > GNU Emacs provides the "global-unset-key" command to unbind
              > keybindings. Does Jasspa Microemacs have such a beast?

              global-unbind-key, bound to esc C-k.

              If you use the main menu's Help -> General Help dialog it has a pretty good
              search facility (searching for "global unbind" finds this straight away).

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
                Try "global-unbind-key" should do the same thing.

                See also

                Keyboard Binding Commands

                from the main help page. This has a list of all
                of the commands that are associated with the
                key bindings.

                Jon.

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
                  Steve, Jon,

                  > If you use the main menu's Help -> General Help dialog it has a
                  >pretty good search facility (searching for "global unbind" finds this
                  >straight away).

                  There it is, plain as day. Last night I didn't have my GNU Emacs
                  .emacs file in front of me so I was searching (guessing) for the wrong
                  key binding. Tonight I won't make that mistake. Sorry guys.