Win95 - difficulty sizing window

  • Jim Kalb
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4 6:25 AM
      Hello!

      I'm having trouble getting ME to come up in a window of the proper size.
      The installation info suggests (for win 3.*) a command line like me -c
      -v$TERM=E80x50 but that doesn't seem to do it, and trial and error have
      failed to turn up something that works.

      Any suggestions?

      Jim Kalb
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 4 7:48 AM
        Jim Kalb wrote:

        > Hello!
        >
        > I'm having trouble getting ME to come up in a window of the proper size.
        > The installation info suggests (for win 3.*) a command line like me -c
        > -v$TERM=E80x50 but that doesn't seem to do it, and trial and error have
        > failed to turn up something that works.

        Yep, this would not work. Back in the dim and dark days
        of DOS this variable (and still does) modified the
        screen driver into a different screen mode.

        Best way of doing this is from your <user>.emf file. I usually
        use something like the following in mine to set up
        the terminal:-

        !if &or $use-x &seq $platform "win32"
        ; Slower cursor blink rate
        set-variable $cursor-blink 750
        !if $use-x
        ; Small bold font is better for me.
        change-font "-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-*-*-*-c-80-iso8859-1"
        ; change-font "-misc-fixed-bold-r-normal--13-*-*-*-c-70-iso8859-1"
        ; Small non-bold font.
        ; change-font "-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-*-*-*-c-70-iso8859-1"
        !else
        ; Change the size of the screen
        82 change-screen-width
        50 change-screen-depth

        Or more simply, if you are only on windows then
        the following 2 lines would do:-

        82 change-screen-width
        50 change-screen-depth

        82 is the screen width (80 wide + 2 for scroll bar)
        50 characters deep.

        If you have not set up your user.emf file then
        edit "guest.emf" and add the 2 lines. You should
        then see the screen size change on startup.

        Hope this helps.

        > Any suggestions?
        >
        > Jim Kalb

      • Jim Kalb
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 4 8:31 AM
          Worked great! I had to go to the setup routine in help to make guest.emf
          my startup file (there had been none) but then no problem.

          Query - I'd like to change a few other things, like the margins and
          filling behavior on startup. Is there someplace I could look to
          see what I should put in guest.emf?

          Thanks for your help!