Use of '[' in filename causes problems

  • thundt@slack.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 12, 2001
      The '[' (left bracket) character seems to be interpreted as some
      kind of directory name escape character... one can't open files
      with this character in their names. Strange things happen. My
      apologies if this is a known issue.

      I'm running the 3/22/2000 version (on both Solaris and WinNT).

      Cheers

      -Tom Hundt
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 13, 2001
        I found this an issue as well, the problem is caused by '[...]' being a
        legal filename mask (i.e. find-file "*.[ch]" loads all c and h files).

        So I put a fix in, it now always checks for the existence of the file name
        you have given it, i.e. if the file "*.[ch]" exists ME will load just that
        file instead. The only gotcha here is that if you wish to create a file with
        that name you cannot use find-file.

        I'm not sure when this fix when it (6 months ago or more I think) so you
        will need to up-grade.

        We're hoping to push a beta soon and a release soon after,

      • thundt@slack.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 13, 2001
          Ahh, well, if it's actual functionality, then you might not want to
          cut it. Still, it would be nice to be able to work around it
          with some kind of escape characters or turn it off in one's .rc file.

          Thanks

          -Th

          |I found this an issue as well, the problem is caused by '[...]' being a
          |legal filename mask (i.e. find-file "*.[ch]" loads all c and h files).
          |
          |So I put a fix in, it now always checks for the existence of the file name
          |you have given it, i.e. if the file "*.[ch]" exists ME will load just that
          |file instead. The only gotcha here is that if you wish to create a file with
          |that name you cannot use find-file.
          |
          |I'm not sure when this fix when it (6 months ago or more I think) so you
          |will need to up-grade.
          |
          |We're hoping to push a beta soon and a release soon after,
          |
          |Steve
          > The '[' (left bracket) character seems to be interpreted as some
          > kind of directory name escape character... one can't open files
          > with this character in their names. Strange things happen. My
          > apologies if this is a known issue.
          >
          > I'm running the 3/22/2000 version (on both Solaris and WinNT).
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > -Tom Hundt

          any material posted to this list.