[jasspa] Re: Copy to Windows clipboard works only intermittently

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 13, 1999
      >I can do this a couple of times and it still won't work. Then, suddenly, it will
      >start to work right, and I get the selected text. I can't predict when.

      To clarify, I do the entire sequence -- copy, switch apps, paste -- a couple of times, and then when it's good and ready, it will start working for a while. I.e., apply the time-honored method of "messing with it" to get the software to work. :-) (In general, "messing with it" only works with well-written products; it tends to crash Microsoft stuff...)

      -Th
    • Detlef Groth
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 16, 1999
        At 14:29 13.08.99 -0700, you wrote:
        >This is a really wacky problem, I haven't figured out the pattern yet. You guys solved the other ones so easily, I figured it's time for a hard one :-)
        >
        >Chief Complaint:
        >---------------
        >
        >Copying in me32 and pasting into another program often gives me the previous clipboard contents. The "copy" done in me32 did not take.
        >
        >Symptoms:
        >--------
        >
        >I start up an me32 from the start menu. (It's in "*scratch*" buffer and default mode.)
        >
        >I copy something (like text from an e-mail message) and paste it into me32 using Shift-Insert (or yank).
        >
        >I do something like reformat the text. (Typical: fill the paragraph, add "|"s to the left side to indicate "quoting".)
        >
        >Now I set a mark at the beginning, move the cursor to the end (and the text all gets a blue background, as it's the "region"). Do a Copy. (M-w)
        >
        >Now I switch (Alt-Tab) to the other app and do a Paste (typically Shift-Insert). It pastes back the original text I copied! Not the edited version I just selected and copied in me32!
        >
        >I can do this a couple of times and it still won't work. Then, suddenly, it will start to work right, and I get the selected text. I can't predict when.
        >
        >Hints:
        >-----
        >
        >If the blue background (region) goes away, then it's pretty much certain to have been copied to the clipboard correctly.
        >
        >If I use the mouse menu to do the Copy, then it almost certainly works.
        >
        >If I do a Cut (C-w) rather than a Copy (M-w), that does not matter. It'll either work or not.
        >
        >Yank will always work, if I do it right away. If I switch to the other app, and then do a Paste (and it happens to paste the old clipboard), and then switch back to me32, doing Yank will suddenly start pasting the old data!
        >
        >I think I've had similar problems under Unix (where it copies to the X clipboard, which the Exceed X server copies to the Windows clipboard, and which occasionally crashes while doing so).
        >

        >Thanks!
        >
        >-Th
        >"I love MicroEmacs"

        I am using Win98 amd the last Me-beta.
        I were choosing different clipboard enhancers and I observed similar behaviour, sometimes Me copies to the clipboard sometimes not. Sometimes it is even copying if I only mark text. With some clipboard collectors Me does not work together at all. My solution to this was writing almost everything with me and avoid using other programs. However this seems to be of course the best but not a serious solution.

        Best regards, Detlef