CUA-Editor Emulation

  • Martin_Doering@mn.man.de
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 16, 2001
      Hello, Listers!

      I would like to develope an editor emulation for to use with me '00. I read
      the documentation, and it says, that the only emulation developed so far is
      the one for microemacs 3.8 from Steven Phillips (me3_8.emf).

      If I have a look at the code it seems, that there are just some minor
      changes in the editor behaviour. What I want to do is more, e.g. give
      CUA-keybindings (not just the C-v, C-x, C-C stuff), but also a more
      Motif/Windows/Mac like behaviour like C-z for undo C-a fo select all and
      exclusively using the cursor keys for navigation, so that other keys like
      C-p are free for other commands. Also I would like to use the ESC key for
      breaking an operation, not as a modifier key.

      All in all I think this is a very good idea and it also would be good for
      me '00, if some users, which come from windows (or use it) or are familiar
      with this keys could use me. The more people use it, the more people would
      support me and do additional developements on it.

      I don't want to be a missionary. I also don't want to discuss, if the
      emacs, vi or XXX keyset is better, or not. I just want to use the keyset
      our developers and me use this time. This is mostly the one of nedit. BUT:
      I like me '00 very much, because it is multi platform and it is very
      powerful. Also it is customizable, even the language is a bit crude (for a
      language fetishist like me ;-) And at all, it is very small - much
      smaller, than the big emacses, nedit or others.

      So I became the idea to develope a new editor emulation for it - don't know
      if this would ever become a part of the distribution, or not.

      So - what do you think? Is this a good idea? There would be a need for to
      change some basic things like menues etc. E.g I don't know, if I would
      change the main editor menus and keysets, what I would do with the
      additional packages, like HTML etc. Mostly they can stay, like they are, I
      think.

      All in all I find me would be a good base for such thing and - I have to
      say that I find, that many things in me are done in a very modern and
      userfriendly way, like the user setup, the menus, the registry, all the osd
      part. It is done very well. It really would be a good base. And I would
      say, that the creators must have had some windowish or better GUI-like
      ideas in mind as they created it (me is not like other editors - it has not
      only menues, but all other kinds of browsers, lists, directories etc.).

      I once tried such conversation on JED, whose language slang I like more,
      but it was not so easy as I thought. For example JED does not have such
      thing like osd and does not have easy changable dialogs for to change mouse
      behaviour or such.

      What do you think: Would me be a good basis for me, or would you say, that
      it is too much efford? Or would you not like such things? Normally the user
      setup tells me, that there could be a wish, that there are some more
      emulations than now.

      Martin Döring
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 16, 2001
        Martin_Doering@... wrote:

        > Hello, Listers!
        >
        > I would like to develope an editor emulation for to use with me '00. I read
        > the documentation, and it says, that the only emulation developed so far is
        > the one for microemacs 3.8 from Steven Phillips (me3_8.emf).
        >
        > If I have a look at the code it seems, that there are just some minor
        > changes in the editor behaviour. What I want to do is more, e.g. give
        > CUA-keybindings (not just the C-v, C-x, C-C stuff), but also a more
        > Motif/Windows/Mac like behaviour like C-z for undo C-a fo select all and
        > exclusively using the cursor keys for navigation, so that other keys like
        > C-p are free for other commands. Also I would like to use the ESC key for
        > breaking an operation, not as a modifier key.
        >
        > All in all I think this is a very good idea and it also would be good for
        > me '00, if some users, which come from windows (or use it) or are familiar
        > with this keys could use me. The more people use it, the more people would
        > support me and do additional developements on it.
        >
        > I don't want to be a missionary. I also don't want to discuss, if the
        > emacs, vi or XXX keyset is better, or not. I just want to use the keyset
        > our developers and me use this time. This is mostly the one of nedit. BUT:
        > I like me '00 very much, because it is multi platform and it is very
        > powerful. Also it is customizable, even the language is a bit crude (for a
        > language fetishist like me ;-) And at all, it is very small - much
        > smaller, than the big emacses, nedit or others.
        >
        > So I became the idea to develope a new editor emulation for it - don't know
        > if this would ever become a part of the distribution, or not.

        Provided that it works and does not conflict with the standard macros then
        it will be distributed. One reason why we have not done this to date is
        that we use Emacs for the Emacs bindings. However, one could completely
        change the bindings for whatever target - in theory.

        The only additional work that I can see that needs to be done is to disable
        some of the Emacs bindings that are added on the hook functions. In this
        case then a condition on the binding category would be required. i.e. we
        could not assume some of the prefixes that we currently use. (for example
        the hkc.emf has some local buffer bindings that would need to be altered).

        The only other tricky area is the mouse. As you may(not) be aware most
        of the mouse functionality is controlled from macros. The mouse behaviour
        may need to be modified to be more in keeping with other target system emulations.

        If somebody is prepared to make a start on the binding definitions then
        we will be more than willing to support more esoteric problems with
        prefixes and mouse bindings. Note that I have not volunteered for this
        since faced with Microsoft tools such as Notepad, Wordpad or MS-DEV I have
        severe problems with the keys because they are not Emacs - typically
        causing these packages to break or do wierd things when I use Emacs bindings !!

        > So - what do you think? Is this a good idea? There would be a need for to
        > change some basic things like menues etc. E.g I don't know, if I would
        > change the main editor menus and keysets, what I would do with the
        > additional packages, like HTML etc. Mostly they can stay, like they are, I
        > think.
        >
        > All in all I find me would be a good base for such thing and - I have to
        > say that I find, that many things in me are done in a very modern and
        > userfriendly way, like the user setup, the menus, the registry, all the osd
        > part. It is done very well. It really would be a good base. And I would
        > say, that the creators must have had some windowish or better GUI-like
        > ideas in mind as they created it (me is not like other editors - it has not
        > only menues, but all other kinds of browsers, lists, directories etc.).
        >
        > I once tried such conversation on JED, whose language slang I like more,
        > but it was not so easy as I thought. For example JED does not have such
        > thing like osd and does not have easy changable dialogs for to change mouse
        > behaviour or such.
        >
        > What do you think: Would me be a good basis for me, or would you say, that
        > it is too much efford? Or would you not like such things? Normally the user
        > setup tells me, that there could be a wish, that there are some more
        > emulations than now.

        I would say it is a bit effort, but is do-able. You could probably get
        75-80% there with no help from us, but you will need more help once you
        try and resolve the last few items.

        There was a posting some time back requesting such a feature. I think
        that people would use it if it was available - there are people in
        my office that use ME for the line hilighting only and find it
        difficult to navigate using the standard bindings.

        I would point out that we are fairly open with new ideas etc. and are
        more than willing to take them on board, provided that there is always
        some sort of backwards compatibility and that it does not break any concepts
        that are already in place. The real problem for us is time - so contributions
        are always better than making a request for a feature - especially if
        it is a feature that we will not use.

        A number of you out there have come up with some exceedingly good ideas
        which we have taken on board and extended. i.e. Detlef's original idea
        of swapping the hilighting. This technique has been refined and included in
        a number of highlighting schemes with great effect. The Windows console for
        NT was another contribution.

        I look forward to your contributions !!

        Regards
        Jon
        (jon@...).

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 19, 2001
          All,

          This is harder than it may first appear, following is a list of issues that
          need to be addressed:

          High priority
          Ability to remove all default bindings (internal)
          Ability to rebind interrupt (C-g) key (horrible internal)
          Configure ME to run in windows mode (macro - Emulate = windows?)
          Disable the setup of various global-bindings in me.emf (macro)
          Change the buffer specific bindings to windows ones (macro)
          Medium
          Change the Main menu to show correct bindings (macro)
          Change the buffer help pages (macro)
          Lower
          Change or add docs (documentation)

          Are there any issues I've missed? Please consider offer possible emulations.

          The first 5 are musts, the next 2 are bordering on musts (what do you
          think??) and documentation is documentation.

          The first 2 items are not possible in the current release, ME must be
          changed. The 3 is already there. The next 4 can be done, but how? this will
          greatly impact the macros and their maintainability.

          Given this I propose that Jasspa do a feasibility study first to determine
          an expectable approach to these problems. Once a solution has been agreed
          on, we can release the new version and the Emulation can then be created by
          whoever wishes to.

> [...]

          could not assume some of the prefixes that we currently use. (for example
          the hkc.emf has some local buffer bindings that would need to be altered).

          The only other tricky area is the mouse. As you may(not) be aware most
          of the mouse functionality is controlled from macros. The mouse behaviour
          may need to be modified to be more in keeping with other target system
          emulations.

          If somebody is prepared to make a start on the binding definitions then
          we will be more than willing to support more esoteric problems with
          prefixes and mouse bindings. Note that I have not volunteered for this
          since faced with Microsoft tools such as Notepad, Wordpad or MS-DEV I have
          severe problems with the keys because they are not Emacs - typically
          causing these packages to break or do wierd things when I use Emacs bindings
          !!

          > So - what do you think? Is this a good idea? There would be a need for to
          > change some basic things like menues etc. E.g I don't know, if I would
          > change the main editor menus and keysets, what I would do with the
          > additional packages, like HTML etc. Mostly they can stay, like they are, I
          > think.
          >
          > All in all I find me would be a good base for such thing and - I have to
          > say that I find, that many things in me are done in a very modern and
          > userfriendly way, like the user setup, the menus, the registry, all the
          osd
          > part. It is done very well. It really would be a good base. And I would
          > say, that the creators must have had some windowish or better GUI-like
          > ideas in mind as they created it (me is not like other editors - it has
          not
          > only menues, but all other kinds of browsers, lists, directories etc.).
          >
          > I once tried such conversation on JED, whose language slang I like more,
          > but it was not so easy as I thought. For example JED does not have such
          > thing like osd and does not have easy changable dialogs for to change
          mouse
          > behaviour or such.
          >
          > What do you think: Would me be a good basis for me, or would you say, that
          > it is too much efford? Or would you not like such things? Normally the
          user
          > setup tells me, that there could be a wish, that there are some more
          > emulations than now.

          I would say it is a bit effort, but is do-able. You could probably get
          75-80% there with no help from us, but you will need more help once you
          try and resolve the last few items.

          There was a posting some time back requesting such a feature. I think
          that people would use it if it was available - there are people in
          my office that use ME for the line hilighting only and find it
          difficult to navigate using the standard bindings.

          I would point out that we are fairly open with new ideas etc. and are
          more than willing to take them on board, provided that there is always
          some sort of backwards compatibility and that it does not break any concepts
          that are already in place. The real problem for us is time - so
          contributions
          are always better than making a request for a feature - especially if
          it is a feature that we will not use.

          A number of you out there have come up with some exceedingly good ideas
          which we have taken on board and extended. i.e. Detlef's original idea
          of swapping the hilighting. This technique has been refined and included in
          a number of highlighting schemes with great effect. The Windows console for
          NT was another contribution.

          I look forward to your contributions !!

          Regards
          Jon
          (jon@...).

          > Martin Döring

          any material posted to this list.
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2001
            All,

            I have managed to address all the issues out-lined below and have
            successfully implemented an NEdit v5 emulation (well enough to show the
            concept works). This new version is now in Alpha and currently being tested.

            If someone wants this version early to help testing or to create an
            Emulation they are welcome to a version - please email me a request.

            I hope to get this tested and onto the Website asap.

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 6, 2001
              Hello, Steven!

              That's very fine. I would like to test/use the emulation as soon as
              possible. That's exactly what I wanted to make. Is it running on the
              current beta (ME '00)?

              Possibly to have some real emulation(s) could help to make ME more
              flexible...

              Martin Döring
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 6, 2001
                Martin,

                I can mail the latest version to you in zip form, mesrc.zip (~660Kb) will
                contain the source code for building ME and meemf.zip (~750Kb) containing
                the macro release. Can you mail box cope with these 2 mails?

                ----------------------------

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 6, 2001
                  Steve,

                  I suggest that it is just dumped on jasspa.com.
                  Let me know what you think. (Will have to
                  sort out our mail server !!).

                  Jon.

                • Martin_Doering@mn.man.de
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 11, 2001
                    Hello, Steve!

                    Yes - you can send me all the stuff. Sorry for waiting so long - I was ill
                    for one week. But now I'm back in live! Just send all the needed stuff to
                    me.

                    Had there been much changes in the source or is it more a macro-thing?
                    Could these changes be incorporated back in the original sources, or is it
                    a new branch?

                    For what did you do this? Just to see, if it is possible, or do you plan to
                    use this derivate by yourself? So - now I ran out of questions...

                    Martin Döring