FTP support in me

  • Martin_Doering@mn.man.de
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 12, 2001
      Hello!

      I read about ftp support for me. When starting the "ftp command I'm asked
      for a registry file. Well - I know (from NT) what a registry means. But why
      do I have to specify such a file? Can I use one file/user, or is there a
      registry for each task? Why am I beeing asked?

      Martin Döring
    • Detlef Groth
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 12, 2001
        The way I most often use the ftp-command is like
        !define-macro edit-email-pl
        find-file "ftp://userid:password@.../cgi-bin/email.pl"
        !emacro
        you can also add the file to the favourites.

        regards,
        Detlef

        Martin_Doering@... wrote:

        > Hello!
        >
        > I read about ftp support for me. When starting the "ftp command I'm asked
        > for a registry file. Well - I know (from NT) what a registry means. But why
        > do I have to specify such a file? Can I use one file/user, or is there a
        > registry for each task? Why am I beeing asked?

        > Martin Döring

        <snip>
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 14, 2001
          Martin,

          The registry file is an ME registry file (*.erf), remembering your favourite
          ftp site user name and passwd can be a real pain so the registry file does
          it for you, the site name drop-down will then list all the sites. If you do
          not wish to use this feature, i.e. if you don't mind typing in the Host
          Address etc. the ignore it, ftp will still function without a specified
          registry file. The help page on the ftp command goes some way to say this.

          Another way of using the ftp support is to use find-file directly (C-x C-f)
          and enter the ftp file that you want (i.e.
          ftp://user:passwd@addr/myfile.txt, or ftp://addr/myfile.txt if guest login
          is okay). The ftp interface is useful when you need to browser the site or
          you need to transfer files.

          Steve