New User

  • Martin_Doering@mn.man.de
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 19, 2001
      Hello, Jasspas!

      I'm new to me (this means MicroEmacs, not myself). I never did use an Emacs
      ever before and want to congratulate JASSPA and the other authors to this
      nice small editor. I use the current MicroEmacs 00 - Date 00/01/26 on
      win32, HP-UX and Linux.

      I found it very useful to have such things like a graphical diff etc. and
      also the mode dependent Tools menu is very nice. The only thing is, that I
      have to figure out all the keybindings. I would like a more cua
      (Windows/Mac/Motif) like style, not so much the old emacs like keys, even
      1000 people told me, that it is better for fast wrting (I never wrote
      fast).

      Till now I used FTE, which unfortunately seems not to be developed any
      further. Also I like to have an extension language. Is there a tutorial for
      me beginners, how to program for it? I have to say, that I can not read
      this language on the first look, like I would with Python, C or Pascal.

      Also I like all the pseudo-graphicle dialogs, boxes, filebrowsers etc. And
      the best thing: It seems, that I can open and close files and windows, and
      don't have to concentrate on buffers, like I would on XEmacs/FSF Emacs.
      This is more my style.

      Is there some still existing macro to make me as windowish as it can be? I
      would like to introduce this editor to all our developers. They normally
      use NEdit. But I think me is more flexible, even it does not look as
      familar to them, as NEdit does.

      Martin Döring
    • dgroth@gmx.de
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 9, 2001
        --- In jasspa@y..., Martin_Doering@m... wrote:
        Hello Martin,

        may be a look at my homepage (http://www.microemacs.de) may help you a
        bit:
        Here just proposals for dummy shortcuts:

        This ugly keyboard...

        It can give trouble at the beginning because many `normal'
        Win-shortcuts are not working as you would expect it (C-c, C-x and C-v
        par example). I propose you
        are putting the following lines into your user.emf to make your live
        easier in the beginning:

        global-bind-key "yank" "A-C-v" ; ie. paste with
        AltGr+V
        global-bind-key "reyank" "A-C-y" ; this paste the
        previos clip
        global-bind-key "kill-region" "A-C-x" ; ie. cut
        global-bind-key "copy-region" "A-C-c"
        global-bind-key "undo" "A-C-z"
        global-bind-key "save-buffer" "A-C-s"
        global-bind-key "beginning-of-buffer" "C-home" ; adjusts jumping in
        the buffer
        global-bind-key "end-of-buffer" "C-end"
        global-bind-key "end-of-line" "end"
        global-bind-key "beginning-of-line" "home"

        Now you can use the `ALT' and the `CTRL'-key together like you would
        use the `CTRL'-key alone. This should help you (by the way on german
        keyboards, the
        `Alt Gr'-Key is doing this thing also). Furthermore choose `Help User
        Setup Start-Up MS-Shift Key = Y' to get still more Win-Feeling. The
        shortcuts C-x and C-c
        can't be easily reconfigurated to Win-like behaviour because they
        belongs to double shortcuts in the Emacs-Editor-family.

        regards,
        Detlef