Re: Crypto -- again

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 23 9:37 AM
      > Subject: [jasspa] Crypto -- again
      > From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
      > Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 11:56:30 -0700
      >
      > I've been running the 3/22/00 release, in the hopes that perhaps the crypto
      > functionality has been made easier to use... but it doesn't seem to be.
      > There's still no way at all to open an encrypted file from the shell prompt
      > without having it come up scrambled. I did find the 'find-cfile' command
      > to open such a file once in the program, so that is helpful. (Just so you
      > know, what I usually do is set up icons to open various files, including
      > some that are encrypted. With pre-Jasspa versions, one could use a '-k'
      > flag on the commandline to specify an encryption key... this is not totally
      > safe, esp. on Unix machines.)
      >
      > A nice behavior would be to detect an encrypted file (given on the
      > commandline) upon load, and prompt the user for a key, and then open the
      > file. It would be OK if this were done via file extension (e.g., '.txc').
      > I have been doing some experimenting in my .emf files but haven't gotten
      > this to work yet.

      I have put the -k option back in, I have also enabled it to optionally specify
      the key as well, i.e. "-kMyPassword", if the key is not given then you will be
      prompted within ME when the file is loaded.

      Note that -k MyPassword does not work, it will assume MyPassword is the
      crypted file. Also the passing of the key is not supported by the
      client-server and only -b or -c is supported by the client-server, not both.

      This will be in the next release, coming soon I hope.