Crypto -- again

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 20, 2000
      I've been running the 3/22/00 release, in the hopes that perhaps the crypto
      functionality has been made easier to use... but it doesn't seem to be.
      There's still no way at all to open an encrypted file from the shell prompt
      without having it come up scrambled. I did find the 'find-cfile' command
      to open such a file once in the program, so that is helpful. (Just so you
      know, what I usually do is set up icons to open various files, including
      some that are encrypted. With pre-Jasspa versions, one could use a '-k'
      flag on the commandline to specify an encryption key... this is not totally
      safe, esp. on Unix machines.)

      A nice behavior would be to detect an encrypted file (given on the
      commandline) upon load, and prompt the user for a key, and then open the
      file. It would be OK if this were done via file extension (e.g., '.txc').
      I have been doing some experimenting in my .emf files but haven't gotten
      this to work yet.

      Thanks

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 23, 2000
        > Subject: [jasspa] Crypto -- again
        > From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
        > Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 11:56:30 -0700
        >
        > I've been running the 3/22/00 release, in the hopes that perhaps the crypto
        > functionality has been made easier to use... but it doesn't seem to be.
        > There's still no way at all to open an encrypted file from the shell prompt
        > without having it come up scrambled. I did find the 'find-cfile' command
        > to open such a file once in the program, so that is helpful. (Just so you
        > know, what I usually do is set up icons to open various files, including
        > some that are encrypted. With pre-Jasspa versions, one could use a '-k'
        > flag on the commandline to specify an encryption key... this is not totally
        > safe, esp. on Unix machines.)
        >
        > A nice behavior would be to detect an encrypted file (given on the
        > commandline) upon load, and prompt the user for a key, and then open the
        > file. It would be OK if this were done via file extension (e.g., '.txc').
        > I have been doing some experimenting in my .emf files but haven't gotten
        > this to work yet.

        I have put the -k option back in, I have also enabled it to optionally specify
        the key as well, i.e. "-kMyPassword", if the key is not given then you will be
        prompted within ME when the file is loaded.

        Note that -k MyPassword does not work, it will assume MyPassword is the
        crypted file. Also the passing of the key is not supported by the
        client-server and only -b or -c is supported by the client-server, not both.

        This will be in the next release, coming soon I hope.