Re: [jasspa] Add/Change Meta key C

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 23 2:42 AM
      You did not tell us the platform I assume Microsoft Windoz ??

      Is MicroEmacs able to see this FN key ?? i.e. if you

      M-x describe-key

      and press the FN key does it register that the key has
      been pressed ?? If not the key is not visible - this
      requires some hacking to find out what it actually is ?

      Provided that it is visible ...

      To map it onto an existing key then you can use "translate-key".
      There are some examples of this mapping in keyboard.emf, this
      does the keyboard translations for different languages, but
      may be used to turn one key press into another.

      To turn it into a prefix then you can cange the prefix key
      using

      n global-bind-key prefix "<key>"

      The is some help information on "prefix".

      What you cannot do is to replace the <control> key with
      another key, this may be an omission. It is actually
      fairly easy to hack the source to allow this mapping.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 28 10:38 AM
        Ah, it's suddenly all become clear ..... after looking at
        my portable I've just relaised what FN key is !!

        OK, I have just ckecked this key out on my portable by using
        the MS-DEV "spy" utility. It certainly does not generate a windows
        message when the key is pressed this means that it is not visible
        on it's own.

        This is actually what I expected. The FN key provides a key
        modification within the keyboard device itself hence pressing
        "FN K" => "Numeric Pad 2", the translated key is what appears
        to the outside world from the keyboard.

        So I'm afraid "No can do" the key is not visible to Windows
        as a stand alone key. I'm not aware of any software
        that allows this key to be accessed - may be somebody else
        does ??

        <SNIP>

        Jon Green J.D.Naughton-Green
        Project Manager