Re: [jasspa] Re: Suse-Linux and melinux

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 12, 2000
      Yep -- I found out why termcap was missing -- libtermcap is its own package, not installed by default for a "standard" system -- in "series a" (Linux Base System) of SuSE. It's one of a handful of (obsolete) items not installed normally.

      And even then, as you and Detlef noted, they put it in /usr/lib/termcap/libtermcap.so, so you have to change the linux200.gmk file (add -L/usr/lib/termcap to LDFLAGS). And they call this "progress". :-)

      The X libs don't install by default, either (which I think is weird) -- the package for that is called xdevel (under series x).

      -Th

      [Jon Green 09:56 AM 6/12/00 +0000]

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 21, 2000
        It seems the change-font command crashes ME when running under termcap mode (i.e., 'me -n'). I've seen this behavior under solaris and linux.

        (It also seems to leave a zombie process that sucks up all available CPU time :-)

        Workaround: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." "So, don't do that!" :-) I've protected the change-font commands in my startup scripts by first looking at $mouse to (try to) determine whether I'm running under X or not. (I already look at $platform to find out the underlying os, to determine MSWin/DOS.)

        Footnote: I love ME. (That sounds pretty narcissistic, doesn't it :-)