Re: [jasspa] Re: Suse-Linux and melinux

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 12, 2000
      Funny, Detlef built this and found libtermcap - it
      was not in the normal location though.

      Also note my notes on KDE.

      Thomas Hundt wrote:

      > FYI
      >
      > I just built ME under SuSE 6.4... had to make one change:
      > linux200.gmk (the makefile it uses) had to change the '-ltermcap' to
      > '-lncurses'.
      >
      > Was getting library not found errors, there is nothing named "libtermcap".
      >
      > The manpages of the termcap routines say they are part of terminfo and
      > emulate termcap. (Note that there is nothing resembling libterm* in
      > /usr/lib; I expected to find something like libterminfo.)
      >
      > -Th
      >
      > >As for your build errors. I would expect you to have a
      > >
      > > /usr/lib/libtermcap.a
      > >OR /usr/lib/libtermcap.so
      > >
      > >or both. From below, try adding a "-L/usr/lib/termcap" to
      > >the LDFLAGS, this should then find the static termcap library
      > >and link it in. I cannot tell you if this is a good termcap
      > >library to use because I'm not familer with the SUSE
      > >distribution.

      > IT Professionals: Match your unique skills with the best IT projects at

      Jon Green J.D.Naughton-Green
      Principal Design Engineer

      SAMSUNG Electronics Ltd
      The Communication Centre
      South Street
      Staines Tel: +44 (0)1784 428600 ext 644
      MIDDLESEX Fax: +44 (0)1784 428620
      TW18 4QE Email (work): jon@...
      England Email (home): jon@...
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 12, 2000
        Yep -- I found out why termcap was missing -- libtermcap is its own package, not installed by default for a "standard" system -- in "series a" (Linux Base System) of SuSE. It's one of a handful of (obsolete) items not installed normally.

        And even then, as you and Detlef noted, they put it in /usr/lib/termcap/libtermcap.so, so you have to change the linux200.gmk file (add -L/usr/lib/termcap to LDFLAGS). And they call this "progress". :-)

        The X libs don't install by default, either (which I think is weird) -- the package for that is called xdevel (under series x).

        -Th

        [Jon Green 09:56 AM 6/12/00 +0000]

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 21, 2000
          It seems the change-font command crashes ME when running under termcap mode (i.e., 'me -n'). I've seen this behavior under solaris and linux.

          (It also seems to leave a zombie process that sucks up all available CPU time :-)

          Workaround: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." "So, don't do that!" :-) I've protected the change-font commands in my startup scripts by first looking at $mouse to (try to) determine whether I'm running under X or not. (I already look at $platform to find out the underlying os, to determine MSWin/DOS.)

          Footnote: I love ME. (That sounds pretty narcissistic, doesn't it :-)