Re: [jasspa] Re: Suse-Linux and melinux

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 11, 2000
      FYI

      I just built ME under SuSE 6.4... had to make one change:
      linux200.gmk (the makefile it uses) had to change the '-ltermcap' to
      '-lncurses'.

      Was getting library not found errors, there is nothing named "libtermcap".

      The manpages of the termcap routines say they are part of terminfo and
      emulate termcap. (Note that there is nothing resembling libterm* in
      /usr/lib; I expected to find something like libterminfo.)

      -Th

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 12, 2000
        Funny, Detlef built this and found libtermcap - it
        was not in the normal location though.

        Also note my notes on KDE.

        Thomas Hundt wrote:

        > FYI
        >
        > I just built ME under SuSE 6.4... had to make one change:
        > linux200.gmk (the makefile it uses) had to change the '-ltermcap' to
        > '-lncurses'.
        >
        > Was getting library not found errors, there is nothing named "libtermcap".
        >
        > The manpages of the termcap routines say they are part of terminfo and
        > emulate termcap. (Note that there is nothing resembling libterm* in
        > /usr/lib; I expected to find something like libterminfo.)
        >
        > -Th
        >
        > >As for your build errors. I would expect you to have a
        > >
        > > /usr/lib/libtermcap.a
        > >OR /usr/lib/libtermcap.so
        > >
        > >or both. From below, try adding a "-L/usr/lib/termcap" to
        > >the LDFLAGS, this should then find the static termcap library
        > >and link it in. I cannot tell you if this is a good termcap
        > >library to use because I'm not familer with the SUSE
        > >distribution.

        > IT Professionals: Match your unique skills with the best IT projects at

        Jon Green J.D.Naughton-Green
        Principal Design Engineer

        SAMSUNG Electronics Ltd
        The Communication Centre
        South Street
        Staines Tel: +44 (0)1784 428600 ext 644
        MIDDLESEX Fax: +44 (0)1784 428620
        TW18 4QE Email (work): jon@...
        England Email (home): jon@...
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 12, 2000
          Yep -- I found out why termcap was missing -- libtermcap is its own package, not installed by default for a "standard" system -- in "series a" (Linux Base System) of SuSE. It's one of a handful of (obsolete) items not installed normally.

          And even then, as you and Detlef noted, they put it in /usr/lib/termcap/libtermcap.so, so you have to change the linux200.gmk file (add -L/usr/lib/termcap to LDFLAGS). And they call this "progress". :-)

          The X libs don't install by default, either (which I think is weird) -- the package for that is called xdevel (under series x).

          -Th

          [Jon Green 09:56 AM 6/12/00 +0000]

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 21, 2000
            It seems the change-font command crashes ME when running under termcap mode (i.e., 'me -n'). I've seen this behavior under solaris and linux.

            (It also seems to leave a zombie process that sucks up all available CPU time :-)

            Workaround: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." "So, don't do that!" :-) I've protected the change-font commands in my startup scripts by first looking at $mouse to (try to) determine whether I'm running under X or not. (I already look at $platform to find out the underlying os, to determine MSWin/DOS.)

            Footnote: I love ME. (That sounds pretty narcissistic, doesn't it :-)